Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #126 – Cash Carrying Tips from the Pros - When traveling, you want to keep your cash safe and secure, which requires some creativity. Here are some cash carrying tips from professional travelers.
- Financial Travel Tip #37: Passport Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for carrying your passport, storing it, hedging against possible loss or theft, and backup plans just in case everything goes wrong.
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #129: Save BIG Using a VPN for Flight Searches - Did you know you can save thousands of dollars on airfare by using a VPN for flight searches? Seriously. Thousands. Here's how:
- Financial Travel Tip #57 – Hostel or Hotel? Not Always a Clear Decision - Hostels are not always the best budget option! Depending on who you're traveling with and the accommodation available, you might want a hotel.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #23: Budgeting and Tracking Travel Expenses - Whether or not you're traveling, tracking your expenses is one of the best budget exercises you can do. Here are a few ways to budget and track your expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #111: 10 Rules for Earning Income as a Freelance Writer - Here are 10 rules for earning income as a freelance writer, with some tools to get you started.
- Financial Travel Tip # 125: Things Tourists Overpay For - Here are a few typical things tourists overpay for, and how to avoid becoming the next casualty. Also: how you can design your own lifestyle business.
- Financial Travel Tip #96: Using a VPN Service - Here's why using a VPN service is important, how it can help you, and things to look for in a VPN service provider.
- Financial Travel Tip #22: What is a Realistic Travel Budget? - Can you travel full-time for under $6,000/year? A reader recently asked me that, and here's my response:
- Financial Travel Tip #36: Network Marketing on the Road - Network marketing is a possible location independent business that can financially sustain traveling. But "network marketing" is also a dirty word...or is it?
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #54: Avoiding Credit Card Cancellation - Don't get caught on the road needing to use your credit card and finding out – the hard way – that it has been cancelled out from under you. Trust me – it happened to me.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.