Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #123: Peer-to-Peer Shipping – Earn Money With Extra Luggage Space - Got extra space in your luggage? With peer-to-peer shipping you can earn extra cash while traveling. While it's an interesting idea, it's not perfect.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Career Options - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #76: Tracking Expenses with Trail Wallet - Here's an app for tracking expenses on the road that meets just about all my needs (and I'm picky). Introducing: Trail Wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #89: Protecting Your Laptop and Data While Traveling - Travel presents many perils to the poor laptop. Here's how I protect my laptop (physically), as well as my data against various threats and mishaps.
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff - Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here's what I do to back all my stuff up.
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling - Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees - AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #110: Almost-Free Campervan Relocation with DriveNow - If you're planning a road trip in Australia or New Zealand, subsidize it by doing a campervan relocation with DriveNow, for $5/day, fuel included!
- Financial Travel Tip #99: Semi-Annual Financial Reviews - Here's how to do a semi-annual financial review while traveling, and why it's important. Don't worry - it's not that hard!
- Financial Travel Tip #32: Managing Tax-Deductible Receipts and Filing Taxes - Managing tax-deductible receipts and filing taxes while living location independently requires a system. Here's mine; let's share other methods in the comments!
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip # 125: Things Tourists Overpay For - Here are a few typical things tourists overpay for, and how to avoid becoming the next casualty. Also: how you can design your own lifestyle business.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #94: Before You Quit Your Day Job… - Before you quit your day job, there's something you need to do that will immeasurably improve your travels and quality of life. Read on...