Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? - Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #100 – Earning Income Abroad by Teaching English - Do you want to earn an income Teaching English Abroad? Here are some resources about the lifestyle and tips for how to do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial:
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #80: Free Accommodation with Volunteering - Here are some resources and tips to land your first work-trade volunteer gig, and enjoy free accommodation around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #33: Preparing for Old Age - I answer a poignant reader's question about how to responsibly cover off the financial needs of old age while being a full-time traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road - How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have an online tutoring career in the making.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #10: Alternatives to Flying - Flight might be quick and cheap, but it might also not be as quick and cheap as you think. Check out some alternatives to flying for a more rewarding experience.