Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #123: Peer-to-Peer Shipping – Earn Money With Extra Luggage Space - Got extra space in your luggage? With peer-to-peer shipping you can earn extra cash while traveling. While it's an interesting idea, it's not perfect.
- Financial Travel Tip #21: Car Sharing, Ride Sharing, Vehicle Delivery - Here are a few ways to get from A to B in a car, without spending a fortune (and in some cases without spending anything at all).
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? - Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #124: Saving for Retirement While Traveling - Readers often ask how (or if) I save for retirement while traveling full-time, especially with a varying income. Here's what I do, and how I do it:
- Financial Travel Tip #7: How to Travel in Style for Free - I've driven around Hawaii in a blue convertible, flown first class, and slept in swanky hotel rooms - all for (almost) free. Cool, huh? Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #43: Starting a Business You Can Travel With - Here are some tips (and ideas) for starting a business you can travel with.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!