Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #54: Avoiding Credit Card Cancellation - Don't get caught on the road needing to use your credit card and finding out – the hard way – that it has been cancelled out from under you. Trust me – it happened to me.
- Financial Travel Tip #19: Earning Money as a Travel Writer - Earning money as a travel writer isn't as easy as hitting the road and starting a blog. (If only). Here's what you need to know, and some tips to make it work.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #10: Alternatives to Flying - Flight might be quick and cheap, but it might also not be as quick and cheap as you think. Check out some alternatives to flying for a more rewarding experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #40: Travel Visas FAQ - Here's a quick FAQ about travel visas including some things to be aware of when applying for or extending visas, and clearing immigration.
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates - Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats - Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #45: Saving Money(?) by Volunteering - Although volunteering isn't necessarily the cheapest option, nor is it always what you thought it would be, it can be a very enriching travel experience.