Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #123: Peer-to-Peer Shipping – Earn Money With Extra Luggage Space - Got extra space in your luggage? With peer-to-peer shipping you can earn extra cash while traveling. While it's an interesting idea, it's not perfect.
- Financial Travel Tip #127: Choosing Frugal Destinations - Here is some criteria for choosing frugal destinations, so your travel dollar goes farther.
- Financial Travel Tip #69: Having an Emergency Fund While Traveling - Here's why you should have an emergency fund while traveling, how big it should be, where to stash it, and how to hedge your bets so you don't need cash on hand.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #91 – Saving on Transportation with Ride Sharing - Ride sharing is a way to save on transportation expenses (or if you own a car, make a little extra cash), meet people, and have company for the ride.
- Financial Travel Tip #54: Avoiding Credit Card Cancellation - Don't get caught on the road needing to use your credit card and finding out – the hard way – that it has been cancelled out from under you. Trust me – it happened to me.
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip #1: Applying Everything in Moderation while Traveling - “What the hell. I'm on vacation! I deserve a treat!" Are these famous last words or reasonable travel etiquette? Here's some food for thought, so you can decide.
- Financial Travel Tip #100 – Earning Income Abroad by Teaching English - Do you want to earn an income Teaching English Abroad? Here are some resources about the lifestyle and tips for how to do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #68: Saving for Travel – Changes You Can Make Today - There are a lot of ways you can save money for travel - both before and during your trip. Here they are:
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #37: Passport Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for carrying your passport, storing it, hedging against possible loss or theft, and backup plans just in case everything goes wrong.
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road - How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #34: How to Get Paid Online - If you work location independently, you have to arrange a way to get paid online, access your money, and minimize fees in the process. Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #78: Free Accommodation on Boats - Here are some tips and resources for getting free accommodation on boats around the world - even if you don't have experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #71: How Much Money You Need to Start Traveling - Here are some guidelines to determine how much money you need to start traveling; backed by personal experience and lessons learned.
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? - Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.