Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates - Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #91 – Saving on Transportation with Ride Sharing - Ride sharing is a way to save on transportation expenses (or if you own a car, make a little extra cash), meet people, and have company for the ride.
- Financial Travel Tip #56: Prepaid Travel Cards - Prepaid travel cards are a solution to managing your money on the road if you don't have a credit card, and are concerned about the security of your debit card.
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #21: Car Sharing, Ride Sharing, Vehicle Delivery - Here are a few ways to get from A to B in a car, without spending a fortune (and in some cases without spending anything at all).
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #97: Sending Gifts Home Without Spending a Fortune - Sending gifts home when traveling full-time or long-term is difficult; here are some alternative ways to send gifts home that won't leave you penniless.
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft - Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #70: Hidden Costs of Travel That Will Derail Your Budget - Here are some of the hidden costs of travel, some of which need to be budgeted for, and others which need to be circumnavigated.
- Financial Travel Tip #89: Protecting Your Laptop and Data While Traveling - Travel presents many perils to the poor laptop. Here's how I protect my laptop (physically), as well as my data against various threats and mishaps.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #57 – Hostel or Hotel? Not Always a Clear Decision - Hostels are not always the best budget option! Depending on who you're traveling with and the accommodation available, you might want a hotel.
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff - Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here's what I do to back all my stuff up.
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #35: Financial Planning for Today and Tomorrow - Financial planning isn't just about preparing for old age; it's about designing the life you want - for both today and tomorrow. Here's how you can get started.
- Financial Travel Tip #51: Ordering Things You Need Online - As a traveler, ordering things you need online is a necessity, but it's not always easy. Here are some tips to effectively and securely place online orders.