Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #87: Apply For Credit Cards Before You Travel - Before you quit your job to travel full-time or start your new location independent business, there's one very important thing you should do...read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #117: Save Baggage Fees With This Carry-On Trick - Here's a carry-on trick that allows you to travel with extra stuff without paying extra baggage fees or having to check a bag.
- Financial Travel Tip #109: Virtual Mailing Services - Here are the basics of virtual mailing services; who might need them, how much they cost, resources, and criteria to evaluate your needs.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft - Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have an online tutoring career in the making.
- Financial Travel Tip #51: Ordering Things You Need Online - As a traveler, ordering things you need online is a necessity, but it's not always easy. Here are some tips to effectively and securely place online orders.
- Financial Travel Tip #33: Preparing for Old Age - I answer a poignant reader's question about how to responsibly cover off the financial needs of old age while being a full-time traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #32: Managing Tax-Deductible Receipts and Filing Taxes - Managing tax-deductible receipts and filing taxes while living location independently requires a system. Here's mine; let's share other methods in the comments!
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling - Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees - AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #26: “Creating” Money for Travel with the Prosperity Game - Do you wish you could snap your fingers to generate all the money you need? Well, you can't, but you can play a cool Prosperity Game to help the process along.