Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #61 – Providing Onward Travel Tickets - Here's how to satisfy the "onward travel ticket" requirement for entry to some countries, even if you don't know where you're going next or when.
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #120: Travel Hacking for Canadians - The book Travel Hacking for Canadians is a useful resource on frequent flyer mile strategies and programs, hotels, car rentals, cruising, and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #95: How to Go Local - Here's how to take advantage of local hotspots and hospitality while you travel - from cheap accommodation to finding local hotspots to volunteering with new friends.
- Financial Travel Tip #117: Save Baggage Fees With This Carry-On Trick - Here's a carry-on trick that allows you to travel with extra stuff without paying extra baggage fees or having to check a bag.
- Financial Travel Tip #70: Hidden Costs of Travel That Will Derail Your Budget - Here are some of the hidden costs of travel, some of which need to be budgeted for, and others which need to be circumnavigated.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff - Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here's what I do to back all my stuff up.
- Financial Travel Tip #104: Free Tours & Local Friends with Global Greeter Network - A free tour and a new local friend, you say? Yes, please! Similar to hospitality exchanges, here is another useful travel tool: Global Greeter Network.
- Financial Travel Tip # 125: Things Tourists Overpay For - Here are a few typical things tourists overpay for, and how to avoid becoming the next casualty. Also: how you can design your own lifestyle business.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #129: Save BIG Using a VPN for Flight Searches - Did you know you can save thousands of dollars on airfare by using a VPN for flight searches? Seriously. Thousands. Here's how:
- Financial Travel Tip #78: Free Accommodation on Boats - Here are some tips and resources for getting free accommodation on boats around the world - even if you don't have experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #89: Protecting Your Laptop and Data While Traveling - Travel presents many perils to the poor laptop. Here's how I protect my laptop (physically), as well as my data against various threats and mishaps.
- Financial Travel Tip #128: Checklist of Things to Do Before Long-Term Travel - Preparing for long-term travel is very important to ensure your trip doesn't go awry. Here are some things to consider to hit the road smoothly and happily.