Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip #97: Sending Gifts Home Without Spending a Fortune - Sending gifts home when traveling full-time or long-term is difficult; here are some alternative ways to send gifts home that won't leave you penniless.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #86: Frequent Flyer Mile Tracking Sites - If you're committed to frequent flyer mile stardom, you need a way to track multiple memberships and balances. Here are 3, with a special deal for you.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #15: Official Documents, and Preparing for Travel - Here's a primer on what official documents to travel with, where and how to carry them, along with some tips on how to ease managing your affairs on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #20: Buying a Car Abroad - If you stay somewhere long enough, you might be tempted to buy a car abroad. Here are some tips to make sure you get the best value from this "investment".
- Financial Travel Tip #78: Free Accommodation on Boats - Here are some tips and resources for getting free accommodation on boats around the world - even if you don't have experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #45: Saving Money(?) by Volunteering - Although volunteering isn't necessarily the cheapest option, nor is it always what you thought it would be, it can be a very enriching travel experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #80: Free Accommodation with Volunteering - Here are some resources and tips to land your first work-trade volunteer gig, and enjoy free accommodation around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #108: Free Accommodation – Nightswapping with Cosmopolit Home - Cosmopolit Home is a free accommodation resource that's part home exchange, couch surfing, and short-term rental. Included: discount code for 3 free nights!
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.