Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #104: Free Tours & Local Friends with Global Greeter Network - A free tour and a new local friend, you say? Yes, please! Similar to hospitality exchanges, here is another useful travel tool: Global Greeter Network.
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft - Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #111: 10 Rules for Earning Income as a Freelance Writer - Here are 10 rules for earning income as a freelance writer, with some tools to get you started.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have an online tutoring career in the making.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #51: Ordering Things You Need Online - As a traveler, ordering things you need online is a necessity, but it's not always easy. Here are some tips to effectively and securely place online orders.
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #26: “Creating” Money for Travel with the Prosperity Game - Do you wish you could snap your fingers to generate all the money you need? Well, you can't, but you can play a cool Prosperity Game to help the process along.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #52: Getting Sponsorships - Sponsorships: How do you get them, portray them, and satisfy sponsorship requirements without diluting content or compromising your personal voice? Read on.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #34: How to Get Paid Online - If you work location independently, you have to arrange a way to get paid online, access your money, and minimize fees in the process. Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #120: Travel Hacking for Canadians - The book Travel Hacking for Canadians is a useful resource on frequent flyer mile strategies and programs, hotels, car rentals, cruising, and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #43: Starting a Business You Can Travel With - Here are some tips (and ideas) for starting a business you can travel with.
- Financial Travel Tip #7: How to Travel in Style for Free - I've driven around Hawaii in a blue convertible, flown first class, and slept in swanky hotel rooms - all for (almost) free. Cool, huh? Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #30: Taking Your Business on the Road - Do you want to take your business on the road? Here are a few things to consider in order to make the right decisions and structure things the right way.