Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff - Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here's what I do to back all my stuff up.
- Financial Travel Tip #71: How Much Money You Need to Start Traveling - Here are some guidelines to determine how much money you need to start traveling; backed by personal experience and lessons learned.
- Financial Travel Tip #69: Having an Emergency Fund While Traveling - Here's why you should have an emergency fund while traveling, how big it should be, where to stash it, and how to hedge your bets so you don't need cash on hand.
- Financial Travel Tip #22: What is a Realistic Travel Budget? - Can you travel full-time for under $6,000/year? A reader recently asked me that, and here's my response:
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling - Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees - AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #30: Taking Your Business on the Road - Do you want to take your business on the road? Here are a few things to consider in order to make the right decisions and structure things the right way.
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #80: Free Accommodation with Volunteering - Here are some resources and tips to land your first work-trade volunteer gig, and enjoy free accommodation around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #55: How Many Debit and Credit Cards To Carry - How many debit and credit cards do you take with you on the road to abate risk and make managing finances while traveling easy? And how/where do you carry them?
- Financial Travel Tip #52: Getting Sponsorships - Sponsorships: How do you get them, portray them, and satisfy sponsorship requirements without diluting content or compromising your personal voice? Read on.
- Financial Travel Tip #53: Getting Out of Debt to Travel - Getting out of debt to travel is just as much about your mindset and how you set goals as it is about the act of paying stuff off. Here's a secret or two....
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.