Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #9 – Getting the Lowest Price on Airfare - I often use frequent flyer miles, but sometimes it's best to pay cash for a flight. Here are some ways to get the lowest price on airfare, even after you buy.
- Financial Travel Tip #40: Travel Visas FAQ - Here's a quick FAQ about travel visas including some things to be aware of when applying for or extending visas, and clearing immigration.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip #78: Free Accommodation on Boats - Here are some tips and resources for getting free accommodation on boats around the world - even if you don't have experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #71: How Much Money You Need to Start Traveling - Here are some guidelines to determine how much money you need to start traveling; backed by personal experience and lessons learned.
- Financial Travel Tip #108: Free Accommodation – Nightswapping with Cosmopolit Home - Cosmopolit Home is a free accommodation resource that's part home exchange, couch surfing, and short-term rental. Included: discount code for 3 free nights!
- Financial Travel Tip #123: Peer-to-Peer Shipping – Earn Money With Extra Luggage Space - Got extra space in your luggage? With peer-to-peer shipping you can earn extra cash while traveling. While it's an interesting idea, it's not perfect.
- Financial Travel Tip #1: Applying Everything in Moderation while Traveling - “What the hell. I'm on vacation! I deserve a treat!" Are these famous last words or reasonable travel etiquette? Here's some food for thought, so you can decide.
- Financial Travel Tip #67 – More Airfare Saving Hacks - Here are some more tricks to get the best prices on airfare - how, where, and when to search...and more!
- Financial Travel Tip #91 – Saving on Transportation with Ride Sharing - Ride sharing is a way to save on transportation expenses (or if you own a car, make a little extra cash), meet people, and have company for the ride.
- Financial Travel Tip #35: Financial Planning for Today and Tomorrow - Financial planning isn't just about preparing for old age; it's about designing the life you want - for both today and tomorrow. Here's how you can get started.
- Financial Travel Tip #19: Earning Money as a Travel Writer - Earning money as a travel writer isn't as easy as hitting the road and starting a blog. (If only). Here's what you need to know, and some tips to make it work.
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #110: Almost-Free Campervan Relocation with DriveNow - If you're planning a road trip in Australia or New Zealand, subsidize it by doing a campervan relocation with DriveNow, for $5/day, fuel included!