Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #52: Getting Sponsorships - Sponsorships: How do you get them, portray them, and satisfy sponsorship requirements without diluting content or compromising your personal voice? Read on.
- Financial Travel Tip #61 – Providing Onward Travel Tickets - Here's how to satisfy the "onward travel ticket" requirement for entry to some countries, even if you don't know where you're going next or when.
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft - Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #53: Getting Out of Debt to Travel - Getting out of debt to travel is just as much about your mindset and how you set goals as it is about the act of paying stuff off. Here's a secret or two....
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates - Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #58: Souvenirs, and Controlling Impulse Buys - Here are some tips on how to accumulate "useful" souvenirs, and to control impulse buys on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #3: Debt Management - Do you hit the road for long-term travel with a pile of debt on your hands? It's not recommended. Here are some resources to help you evaluate your own debt load.
- Financial Travel Tip #121: Eating Locally, Withlocals - Withlocals is a website that connects travelers looking for a local experience with locals in Southeast Asia offering home-cooked meals and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #38: Total Travel Protection with The USB Stick Trick - Regular readers know I'm pedantic - no, obsessive - about protecting my data and stuff on the road. Here's the ultimate trick up my sleeve: my USB Stick Trick!
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial:
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #57 – Hostel or Hotel? Not Always a Clear Decision - Hostels are not always the best budget option! Depending on who you're traveling with and the accommodation available, you might want a hotel.
- Financial Travel Tip #111: 10 Rules for Earning Income as a Freelance Writer - Here are 10 rules for earning income as a freelance writer, with some tools to get you started.