Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #9 – Getting the Lowest Price on Airfare - I often use frequent flyer miles, but sometimes it's best to pay cash for a flight. Here are some ways to get the lowest price on airfare, even after you buy.
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #66 – Benefits of an International Driving Permit - An International Driving Permit might be a very useful complement to the official documents you travel with. Here's why.
- Financial Travel Tip #80: Free Accommodation with Volunteering - Here are some resources and tips to land your first work-trade volunteer gig, and enjoy free accommodation around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #55: How Many Debit and Credit Cards To Carry - How many debit and credit cards do you take with you on the road to abate risk and make managing finances while traveling easy? And how/where do you carry them?
- Financial Travel Tip #63: Subsidize Your Travels as a Mystery Shopper - Here's an interesting way to subsidize your flights, accommodation, and other travel expenses: mystery shopping!
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Career Options - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #115: Earning Frequent Flyer Miles on Hotels with Rocketmiles - Here's a cool way to earn extra frequent flyer miles on hotel stays - with Rocketmiles.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #101: Best Countries to Volunteer in Trade for Free Accommodation - In volunteering in trade for free accommodation, where in the world you do it determines the value you get for your time spent. Here are some considerations
- Financial Travel Tip #1: Applying Everything in Moderation while Traveling - “What the hell. I'm on vacation! I deserve a treat!" Are these famous last words or reasonable travel etiquette? Here's some food for thought, so you can decide.
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #126 – Cash Carrying Tips from the Pros - When traveling, you want to keep your cash safe and secure, which requires some creativity. Here are some cash carrying tips from professional travelers.
- 6 Travel Hacks You Haven’t Thought Of - Here are some travel hacks that, despite 10 years' travel experience, have largely escaped me - until now.