Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #69: Having an Emergency Fund While Traveling - Here's why you should have an emergency fund while traveling, how big it should be, where to stash it, and how to hedge your bets so you don't need cash on hand.
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #116: 11 Tricks to Using ATMs Abroad - Here are 11 lessons for using ATMs abroad, which if you heed this advice, you won't have to learn the hard way.
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats - Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #68: Saving for Travel – Changes You Can Make Today - There are a lot of ways you can save money for travel - both before and during your trip. Here they are:
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #71: How Much Money You Need to Start Traveling - Here are some guidelines to determine how much money you need to start traveling; backed by personal experience and lessons learned.
- Financial Travel Tip #34: How to Get Paid Online - If you work location independently, you have to arrange a way to get paid online, access your money, and minimize fees in the process. Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #57 – Hostel or Hotel? Not Always a Clear Decision - Hostels are not always the best budget option! Depending on who you're traveling with and the accommodation available, you might want a hotel.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #20: Buying a Car Abroad - If you stay somewhere long enough, you might be tempted to buy a car abroad. Here are some tips to make sure you get the best value from this "investment".
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.