Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #35: Financial Planning for Today and Tomorrow - Financial planning isn't just about preparing for old age; it's about designing the life you want - for both today and tomorrow. Here's how you can get started.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #3: Debt Management - Do you hit the road for long-term travel with a pile of debt on your hands? It's not recommended. Here are some resources to help you evaluate your own debt load.
- Financial Travel Tip #115: Earning Frequent Flyer Miles on Hotels with Rocketmiles - Here's a cool way to earn extra frequent flyer miles on hotel stays - with Rocketmiles.
- Financial Travel Tip #100 – Earning Income Abroad by Teaching English - Do you want to earn an income Teaching English Abroad? Here are some resources about the lifestyle and tips for how to do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #43: Starting a Business You Can Travel With - Here are some tips (and ideas) for starting a business you can travel with.
- Financial Travel Tip #33: Preparing for Old Age - I answer a poignant reader's question about how to responsibly cover off the financial needs of old age while being a full-time traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have an online tutoring career in the making.
- Financial Travel Tip #15: Official Documents, and Preparing for Travel - Here's a primer on what official documents to travel with, where and how to carry them, along with some tips on how to ease managing your affairs on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road - How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #66 – Benefits of an International Driving Permit - An International Driving Permit might be a very useful complement to the official documents you travel with. Here's why.
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.