Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #36: Network Marketing on the Road - Network marketing is a possible location independent business that can financially sustain traveling. But "network marketing" is also a dirty word...or is it?
- Financial Travel Tip #91 – Saving on Transportation with Ride Sharing - Ride sharing is a way to save on transportation expenses (or if you own a car, make a little extra cash), meet people, and have company for the ride.
- Financial Travel Tip #17: Passport Pictures for Pennies on the Dollar - Here's why you should travel with passport pictures all the time, and how you can get them for pennies on the dollar.
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #23: Budgeting and Tracking Travel Expenses - Whether or not you're traveling, tracking your expenses is one of the best budget exercises you can do. Here are a few ways to budget and track your expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #32: Managing Tax-Deductible Receipts and Filing Taxes - Managing tax-deductible receipts and filing taxes while living location independently requires a system. Here's mine; let's share other methods in the comments!
- Financial Travel Tip #101: Best Countries to Volunteer in Trade for Free Accommodation - In volunteering in trade for free accommodation, where in the world you do it determines the value you get for your time spent. Here are some considerations
- Financial Travel Tip #26: “Creating” Money for Travel with the Prosperity Game - Do you wish you could snap your fingers to generate all the money you need? Well, you can't, but you can play a cool Prosperity Game to help the process along.
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #80: Free Accommodation with Volunteering - Here are some resources and tips to land your first work-trade volunteer gig, and enjoy free accommodation around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #86: Frequent Flyer Mile Tracking Sites - If you're committed to frequent flyer mile stardom, you need a way to track multiple memberships and balances. Here are 3, with a special deal for you.
- Financial Travel Tip #9 – Getting the Lowest Price on Airfare - I often use frequent flyer miles, but sometimes it's best to pay cash for a flight. Here are some ways to get the lowest price on airfare, even after you buy.