Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #3: Debt Management - Do you hit the road for long-term travel with a pile of debt on your hands? It's not recommended. Here are some resources to help you evaluate your own debt load.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip #70: Hidden Costs of Travel That Will Derail Your Budget - Here are some of the hidden costs of travel, some of which need to be budgeted for, and others which need to be circumnavigated.
- Financial Travel Tip #120: Travel Hacking for Canadians - The book Travel Hacking for Canadians is a useful resource on frequent flyer mile strategies and programs, hotels, car rentals, cruising, and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #22: What is a Realistic Travel Budget? - Can you travel full-time for under $6,000/year? A reader recently asked me that, and here's my response:
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates - Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #109: Virtual Mailing Services - Here are the basics of virtual mailing services; who might need them, how much they cost, resources, and criteria to evaluate your needs.
- Financial Travel Tip #96: Using a VPN Service - Here's why using a VPN service is important, how it can help you, and things to look for in a VPN service provider.
- Financial Travel Tip #124: Saving for Retirement While Traveling - Readers often ask how (or if) I save for retirement while traveling full-time, especially with a varying income. Here's what I do, and how I do it:
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #92: Cheap Accommodation/Income with Short-Term Rentals - Short-term rentals offer cheap accommodation and so many benefits over hotels and hostels. And if you have extra space, it's an income opportunity.
- Financial Travel Tip #87: Apply For Credit Cards Before You Travel - Before you quit your job to travel full-time or start your new location independent business, there's one very important thing you should do...read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #7: How to Travel in Style for Free - I've driven around Hawaii in a blue convertible, flown first class, and slept in swanky hotel rooms - all for (almost) free. Cool, huh? Here's how I do it.