Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #36: Network Marketing on the Road - Network marketing is a possible location independent business that can financially sustain traveling. But "network marketing" is also a dirty word...or is it?
- Financial Travel Tip #9 – Getting the Lowest Price on Airfare - I often use frequent flyer miles, but sometimes it's best to pay cash for a flight. Here are some ways to get the lowest price on airfare, even after you buy.
- Financial Travel Tip #10: Alternatives to Flying - Flight might be quick and cheap, but it might also not be as quick and cheap as you think. Check out some alternatives to flying for a more rewarding experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #33: Preparing for Old Age - I answer a poignant reader's question about how to responsibly cover off the financial needs of old age while being a full-time traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #121: Eating Locally, Withlocals - Withlocals is a website that connects travelers looking for a local experience with locals in Southeast Asia offering home-cooked meals and more.
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #120: Travel Hacking for Canadians - The book Travel Hacking for Canadians is a useful resource on frequent flyer mile strategies and programs, hotels, car rentals, cruising, and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? - Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.
- Financial Travel Tip #100 – Earning Income Abroad by Teaching English - Do you want to earn an income Teaching English Abroad? Here are some resources about the lifestyle and tips for how to do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #35: Financial Planning for Today and Tomorrow - Financial planning isn't just about preparing for old age; it's about designing the life you want - for both today and tomorrow. Here's how you can get started.
- Financial Travel Tip #7: How to Travel in Style for Free - I've driven around Hawaii in a blue convertible, flown first class, and slept in swanky hotel rooms - all for (almost) free. Cool, huh? Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #65: Earning Money With a Working Holiday Visa - Working holiday visas allow you to live and work in foreign countries for a year (each). Here's what you need to know:
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...