Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #120: Travel Hacking for Canadians - The book Travel Hacking for Canadians is a useful resource on frequent flyer mile strategies and programs, hotels, car rentals, cruising, and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road - How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #15: Official Documents, and Preparing for Travel - Here's a primer on what official documents to travel with, where and how to carry them, along with some tips on how to ease managing your affairs on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #45: Saving Money(?) by Volunteering - Saving money: Although volunteering isn't necessarily the cheapest option, nor is it always what you thought it would be, it can be a very enriching travel experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #117: Save Baggage Fees With This Carry-On Trick - Here's a carry-on trick that allows you to travel with extra stuff without paying extra baggage fees or having to check a bag.
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #101: Best Countries to Volunteer in Trade for Free Accommodation - In volunteering in trade for free accommodation, where in the world you do it determines the value you get for your time spent. Here are some considerations
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #61 – Providing Onward Travel Tickets - Here's how to satisfy the "onward travel ticket" requirement for entry to some countries, even if you don't know where you're going next or when.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.