Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial:
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #63: Subsidize Your Travels as a Mystery Shopper - Here's an interesting way to subsidize your flights, accommodation, and other travel expenses: mystery shopping!
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #119: Hidden Travel Fees - Hidden travel fees are everywhere - even in the water you drink. Here are some tips to avoid hidden travel fees.
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #87: Apply For Credit Cards Before You Travel - Before you quit your job to travel full-time or start your new location independent business, there's one very important thing you should do...read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #101: Best Countries to Volunteer in Trade for Free Accommodation - In volunteering in trade for free accommodation, where in the world you do it determines the value you get for your time spent. Here are some considerations
- Financial Travel Tip #73 – Retirement Planning for Full-Time Travelers - How do you plan for retirement as a full-time traveler? What is retirement anyway? Regardless of your lifestyle, here are some controversial musings.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #67 – More Airfare Saving Hacks - Here are some more tricks to get the best prices on airfare - how, where, and when to search...and more!
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #110: Almost-Free Campervan Relocation with DriveNow - If you're planning a road trip in Australia or New Zealand, subsidize it by doing a campervan relocation with DriveNow, for $5/day, fuel included!
- Financial Travel Tip #124: Saving for Retirement While Traveling - Readers often ask how (or if) I save for retirement while traveling full-time, especially with a varying income. Here's what I do, and how I do it:
- Financial Travel Tip #38: Total Travel Protection with The USB Stick Trick - Regular readers know I'm pedantic - no, obsessive - about protecting my data and stuff on the road. Here's the ultimate trick up my sleeve: my USB Stick Trick!
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip #35: Financial Planning for Today and Tomorrow - Financial planning isn't just about preparing for old age; it's about designing the life you want - for both today and tomorrow. Here's how you can get started.