Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #73 – Retirement Planning for Full-Time Travelers - How do you plan for retirement as a full-time traveler? What is retirement anyway? Regardless of your lifestyle, here are some controversial musings.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #99: Semi-Annual Financial Reviews - Here's how to do a semi-annual financial review while traveling, and why it's important. Don't worry - it's not that hard!
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling - Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees - AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #97: Sending Gifts Home Without Spending a Fortune - Sending gifts home when traveling full-time or long-term is difficult; here are some alternative ways to send gifts home that won't leave you penniless.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft - Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road - How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #23: Budgeting and Tracking Travel Expenses - Whether or not you're traveling, tracking your expenses is one of the best budget exercises you can do. Here are a few ways to budget and track your expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? - Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have an online tutoring career in the making.
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip #15: Official Documents, and Preparing for Travel - Here's a primer on what official documents to travel with, where and how to carry them, along with some tips on how to ease managing your affairs on the road.