Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #117: Save Baggage Fees With This Carry-On Trick - Here's a carry-on trick that allows you to travel with extra stuff without paying extra baggage fees or having to check a bag.
- Financial Travel Tip #2: Supermarket Savings - Not only is shopping in a supermarket while traveling a great way to keep costs low; it's a fun cultural experience! But beware of their costly traps...
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #89: Protecting Your Laptop and Data While Traveling - Travel presents many perils to the poor laptop. Here's how I protect my laptop (physically), as well as my data against various threats and mishaps.
- Financial Travel Tip #10: Alternatives to Flying - Flight might be quick and cheap, but it might also not be as quick and cheap as you think. Check out some alternatives to flying for a more rewarding experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #55: How Many Debit and Credit Cards To Carry - How many debit and credit cards do you take with you on the road to abate risk and make managing finances while traveling easy? And how/where do you carry them?
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #67 – More Airfare Saving Hacks - Here are some more tricks to get the best prices on airfare - how, where, and when to search...and more!
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #20: Buying a Car Abroad - If you stay somewhere long enough, you might be tempted to buy a car abroad. Here are some tips to make sure you get the best value from this "investment".
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #95: How to Go Local - Here's how to take advantage of local hotspots and hospitality while you travel - from cheap accommodation to finding local hotspots to volunteering with new friends.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #115: Earning Frequent Flyer Miles on Hotels with Rocketmiles - Here's a cool way to earn extra frequent flyer miles on hotel stays - with Rocketmiles.