Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #96: Using a VPN Service - Here's why using a VPN service is important, how it can help you, and things to look for in a VPN service provider.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #82: Free Accommodation With Couch Surfing - Here are resources and tips for you to find free accommodation with couch surfing; & links to every other kind of free accommodation you can imagine!
- Financial Travel Tip #17: Passport Pictures for Pennies on the Dollar - Here's why you should travel with passport pictures all the time, and how you can get them for pennies on the dollar.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #16: Estate Planning - Let's face it: stuff happens. And while it could happen while at home just as easily as when traveling, it's more complicated on the road. Here's a road map.
- Financial Travel Tip #108: Free Accommodation – Nightswapping with Cosmopolit Home - Cosmopolit Home is a free accommodation resource that's part home exchange, couch surfing, and short-term rental. Included: discount code for 3 free nights!
- Financial Travel Tip #102: Blogging vs Freelance Writing, and Finding Gigs - Here is the difference between blogging and freelance writing, how to land gigs as a writer/blogger, and how to play both to your advantage.
- Financial Travel Tip #104: Free Tours & Local Friends with Global Greeter Network - A free tour and a new local friend, you say? Yes, please! Similar to hospitality exchanges, here is another useful travel tool: Global Greeter Network.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #121: Eating Locally, Withlocals - Withlocals is a website that connects travelers looking for a local experience with locals in Southeast Asia offering home-cooked meals and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip #110: Almost-Free Campervan Relocation with DriveNow - If you're planning a road trip in Australia or New Zealand, subsidize it by doing a campervan relocation with DriveNow, for $5/day, fuel included!
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial: