Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #67 – More Airfare Saving Hacks Here are some more tricks to get the best prices on airfare – how, where, and when to search…and more!
- Financial Travel Tip #69: Having an Emergency Fund While Traveling Here’s why you should have an emergency fund while traveling, how big it should be, where to stash it, and how to hedge your bets so you don’t need cash on hand.
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance I most certainly recommend travel insurance – from experience – but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #52: Getting Sponsorships Sponsorships: How do you get them, portray them, and satisfy sponsorship requirements without diluting content or compromising your personal voice? Read on.
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes Here’s an old school trick for staying on budget while you’re on the road – or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #23: Budgeting and Tracking Travel Expenses Whether or not you’re traveling, tracking your expenses is one of the best budget exercises you can do. Here are a few ways to budget and track your expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also – check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here’s why:
- Financial Travel Tip #14: Do you Need Life Insurance? Should you have life insurance to travel? Read on to find out more about life insurance and whether or not you need it.
- Financial Travel Tip #56: Prepaid Travel Cards Prepaid travel cards are a solution to managing your money on the road if you don’t have a credit card, and are concerned about the security of your debit card.
- Financial Travel Tip #47: Dealing with Identity Theft Travelers are at a high risk of identity theft on the road. Here are a few ways to reduce the risk and get your identity back if it is stolen.
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees – AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #73 – Retirement Planning for Full-Time Travelers How do you plan for retirement as a full-time traveler? What is retirement anyway? Regardless of your lifestyle, here are some controversial musings.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) Here’s how you can fly around the world – in business class no less – for (almost) free. No really! I’ve done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you’re traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #41: Banking on the Road How do you do your banking on the road, and what kind of bank account suits a travel lifestyle best? Read on for some tips for banking on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here’s what I do to back all my stuff up.