Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #121: Eating Locally, Withlocals - Withlocals is a website that connects travelers looking for a local experience with locals in Southeast Asia offering home-cooked meals and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #78: Free Accommodation on Boats - Here are some tips and resources for getting free accommodation on boats around the world - even if you don't have experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #116: 11 Tricks to Using ATMs Abroad - Here are 11 lessons for using ATMs abroad, which if you heed this advice, you won't have to learn the hard way.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #110: Almost-Free Campervan Relocation with DriveNow - If you're planning a road trip in Australia or New Zealand, subsidize it by doing a campervan relocation with DriveNow, for $5/day, fuel included!
- Financial Travel Tip #72: Budget IQ Test - How well would you score on a Budget IQ test? Give it a try and see!
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #7: How to Travel in Style for Free - I've driven around Hawaii in a blue convertible, flown first class, and slept in swanky hotel rooms - all for (almost) free. Cool, huh? Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #21: Car Sharing, Ride Sharing, Vehicle Delivery - Here are a few ways to get from A to B in a car, without spending a fortune (and in some cases without spending anything at all).
- Financial Travel Tip #96: Using a VPN Service - Here's why using a VPN service is important, how it can help you, and things to look for in a VPN service provider.
- Financial Travel Tip #34: How to Get Paid Online - If you work location independently, you have to arrange a way to get paid online, access your money, and minimize fees in the process. Here's how I do it.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #111: 10 Rules for Earning Income as a Freelance Writer - Here are 10 rules for earning income as a freelance writer, with some tools to get you started.
- Financial Travel Tip #91 – Saving on Transportation with Ride Sharing - Ride sharing is a way to save on transportation expenses (or if you own a car, make a little extra cash), meet people, and have company for the ride.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.