Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #32: Managing Tax-Deductible Receipts and Filing Taxes - Managing tax-deductible receipts and filing taxes while living location independently requires a system. Here's mine; let's share other methods in the comments!
- Financial Travel Tip #39: Backing Up Your Stuff - Backing up your stuff against the perils of travel (including loss, theft, damage) requires a multiple-pronged attack. Here's what I do to back all my stuff up.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #5: Using Your Debit Card on the Road - What's the best way to pay for things on the road? You've got lots of options. Let's look at using your debit card on the road: pros and cons.
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #94: Before You Quit Your Day Job… - Before you quit your day job, there's something you need to do that will immeasurably improve your travels and quality of life. Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats - Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #107: Finding Jobs Abroad with Globals At Work - If you're interested in finding jobs abroad, check out Globals At Work: a website connecting travelers with employers around the world.
- Financial Travel Tip #60 – Renewing Credit Cards While Traveling - How do you renew your credit card while traveling long-term with no plans to return home? Here are some suggestions.
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #56: Prepaid Travel Cards - Prepaid travel cards are a solution to managing your money on the road if you don't have a credit card, and are concerned about the security of your debit card.
- Financial Travel Tip #108: Free Accommodation – Nightswapping with Cosmopolit Home - Cosmopolit Home is a free accommodation resource that's part home exchange, couch surfing, and short-term rental. Included: discount code for 3 free nights!
- Financial Travel Tip #52: Getting Sponsorships - Sponsorships: How do you get them, portray them, and satisfy sponsorship requirements without diluting content or compromising your personal voice? Read on.
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #101: Best Countries to Volunteer in Trade for Free Accommodation - In volunteering in trade for free accommodation, where in the world you do it determines the value you get for your time spent. Here are some considerations
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.