Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #37: Passport Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for carrying your passport, storing it, hedging against possible loss or theft, and backup plans just in case everything goes wrong.
- Financial Travel Tip #90: Expat Insurance vs Travel Insurance - What suits your travel needs best: travel insurance or expat insurance? I've interviewed an expert to compare the two and provide policy tips.
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #118: How to File Taxes From Abroad - If you travel long-term, you'll need to file taxes from abroad. Here is a five-step process to file taxes from abroad easily.
- Financial Travel Tip #25: Carrying a Decoy Wallet - Parlaying on last week's financial travel tip about cash carrying tips, here is a way to limit potential loss while traveling: carrying a decoy wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats - Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #109: Virtual Mailing Services - Here are the basics of virtual mailing services; who might need them, how much they cost, resources, and criteria to evaluate your needs.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #53: Getting Out of Debt to Travel - Getting out of debt to travel is just as much about your mindset and how you set goals as it is about the act of paying stuff off. Here's a secret or two....
- Financial Travel Tip #18: Managing Phone, Mail, and Internet on the Road - How does a nomad stay in touch? What does a "permanent address" look like? And how do you get cheap secure online access? Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial:
- Financial Travel Tip #32: Managing Tax-Deductible Receipts and Filing Taxes - Managing tax-deductible receipts and filing taxes while living location independently requires a system. Here's mine; let's share other methods in the comments!
- Financial Travel Tip #96: Using a VPN Service - Here's why using a VPN service is important, how it can help you, and things to look for in a VPN service provider.