Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #104: Free Tours & Local Friends with Global Greeter Network - A free tour and a new local friend, you say? Yes, please! Similar to hospitality exchanges, here is another useful travel tool: Global Greeter Network.
- Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques - Travelers cheques are no longer a wise way to carry money when you travel. Here's why, and what people are doing instead.
- Financial Travel Tip #75: Managing an Online Business While Couch Surfing - Couch surfing (staying for free with locals) still takes time - and money. Here are the challenges of managing an online business concurrently.
- Financial Travel Tip #109: Virtual Mailing Services - Here are the basics of virtual mailing services; who might need them, how much they cost, resources, and criteria to evaluate your needs.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #86: Frequent Flyer Mile Tracking Sites - If you're committed to frequent flyer mile stardom, you need a way to track multiple memberships and balances. Here are 3, with a special deal for you.
- Financial Travel Tip #36: Network Marketing on the Road - Network marketing is a possible location independent business that can financially sustain traveling. But "network marketing" is also a dirty word...or is it?
- Financial Travel Tip #55: How Many Debit and Credit Cards To Carry - How many debit and credit cards do you take with you on the road to abate risk and make managing finances while traveling easy? And how/where do you carry them?
- Financial Travel Tip #84: Being a First Class Flyer - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile programs and services, we take a look at how to fly in style with First Class Flyer.
- Financial Travel Tip #97: Sending Gifts Home Without Spending a Fortune - Sending gifts home when traveling full-time or long-term is difficult; here are some alternative ways to send gifts home that won't leave you penniless.
- Financial Travel Tip #3: Debt Management - Do you hit the road for long-term travel with a pile of debt on your hands? It's not recommended. Here are some resources to help you evaluate your own debt load.
- Financial Travel Tip #79: Managing an Online Business while Living on Boats - Volunteering and living on boats is a great way to get free accommodation and experience, but it may be a trick to manage your online business as well.
- Financial Travel Tip #61 – Providing Onward Travel Tickets - Here's how to satisfy the "onward travel ticket" requirement for entry to some countries, even if you don't know where you're going next or when.
- Financial Travel Tip #11: Credit Card Insurance - Has your credit card company called you to offer a form of credit card insurance that protects your balance? Before you say yes - read this!
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.
- Financial Travel Tip #68: Saving for Travel – Changes You Can Make Today - There are a lot of ways you can save money for travel - both before and during your trip. Here they are:
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #74 – Managing an Online Business and Volunteering - If you are simultaneously volunteering and managing your online business, where is the time for travel? Here's a look at work-life balance on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #28: Managing Your Travel Savings Account - Here are some tips on how and where to save money for travel, as well as manage it on the road. Also - check out a special deal for Professional Hobo readers!