Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (of which there are over 125 so far!), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip # 88: Managing Your Online Savings Accounts - Online savings accounts are handy if you're traveling long-term or full-time. Here's how to use and manage your online savings accounts as a traveler.
- Financial Travel Tip #95: How to Go Local - Here's how to take advantage of local hotspots and hospitality while you travel - from cheap accommodation to finding local hotspots to volunteering with new friends.
- Financial Travel Tip #4 – Travel Insurance - I most certainly recommend travel insurance - from experience - but not all forms of travel insurance are necessary. Here are some pointers.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #24: Cash Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for how and where to carry cash in a secure way while you're traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #51: Ordering Things You Need Online - As a traveler, ordering things you need online is a necessity, but it's not always easy. Here are some tips to effectively and securely place online orders.
- Financial Travel Tip #37: Passport Carrying Tips - Here are some tips for carrying your passport, storing it, hedging against possible loss or theft, and backup plans just in case everything goes wrong.
- Financial Travel Tip #19: Earning Money as a Travel Writer - Earning money as a travel writer isn't as easy as hitting the road and starting a blog. (If only). Here's what you need to know, and some tips to make it work.
- Financial Travel Tip #55: How Many Debit and Credit Cards To Carry - How many debit and credit cards do you take with you on the road to abate risk and make managing finances while traveling easy? And how/where do you carry them?
- Financial Travel Tip #122: 17 Simple Rules for Travel Blogging - Travel blogging might not be entirely simple, but here are 17 simple rules for establishing a travel blog that will make you money.
- Financial Travel Tip #23: Budgeting and Tracking Travel Expenses - Whether or not you're traveling, tracking your expenses is one of the best budget exercises you can do. Here are a few ways to budget and track your expenses.
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #127: Choosing Frugal Destinations - Here is some criteria for choosing frugal destinations, so your travel dollar goes farther.
- Financial Travel Tip #50 – Protecting Your Valuables with Property Insurance - You can protect your valuables from theft and damage with property insurance. But making a claim could be difficult; here's how to ensure you are protected.
- Financial Travel Tip #103: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation, Management, and Redemption - This financial travel tip breaks down the basics of frequent flyer mile accumulation, management, and redemption; three distinct steps of a complex process.
- Financial Travel Tip #59 – Money-Saving (and Other) Benefits of a Water Bottle - Traveling with a reusable water bottle has many benefits – financial, environmental, health, and otherwise. Here's how a water bottle can be beneficial:
- Financial Travel Tip #112: 50% off Airfare With Mystery Shopping - I recently flew from Toronto to Peru for a 50% discount, by mystery shopping. Here's my experience, and tips for how you can get involved.
- Financial Travel Tip #85: The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles - In this mini-series on frequent flyer mile tools, we discuss The Ultimate Guide to Frequent Flyer Miles; one of the most comprehensive guides I've read yet.
- Financial Travel Tip #68: Saving for Travel – Changes You Can Make Today - There are a lot of ways you can save money for travel - both before and during your trip. Here they are:
- Financial Travel Tip #113: Splitting Group Travel Expenses With Travefy - Travefy is a group travel planning tool to collaborate on itineraries, booking travel, and - most importantly – tracking, sharing, and managing expenses.