Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #64 – Lending Money to Friends on the Road - Whether lending money to fellow travelers or local friends, you may want to think twice about getting your wallet out. Here's why:
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #121: Eating Locally, Withlocals - Withlocals is a website that connects travelers looking for a local experience with locals in Southeast Asia offering home-cooked meals and more.
- Financial Travel Tip #93: Overhead Costs for Location Independent Businesses - Here's a breakdown of the various overhead costs for location independent businesses (hidden and otherwise) - from necessary, to optional.
- Financial Travel Tip #56: Prepaid Travel Cards - Prepaid travel cards are a solution to managing your money on the road if you don't have a credit card, and are concerned about the security of your debit card.
- Financial Travel Tip #98: Managing Finances as a Couple on the Road - Here are a few factors to be aware of (and what to do about them) when managing finances as a couple on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #49: Making Your Dreams Come True - Here are some exercises that can actually help you manifest your dreams. I know, I wouldn't believe me either. But do yourself a favour: check it out!
- Financial Travel Tip #43: Starting a Business You Can Travel With - Here are some tips (and ideas) for starting a business you can travel with.
- Financial Travel Tip #44: Full-Time Travel Vs Retirement or Gap Year Travel - Despite my proclaiming that full-time travel is cheap, your own travel budget will vary dramatically depending on your style of travel. Here are some factors.
- Financial Travel Tip #42: Earning Income by Online Tutoring - If you have an expertise that others want to learn more about (and sometimes even if your don't), you might have a career in online tutoring.
- Financial Travel Tip #12: Using Your Credit Card on the Road - I love using my credit card when I travel for a bunch of reasons, but it's not without its drawbacks. Here's the dirt on using your credit card on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #76: Tracking Expenses with Trail Wallet - Here's an app for tracking expenses on the road that meets just about all my needs (and I'm picky). Introducing: Trail Wallet.
- Financial Travel Tip #73 – Retirement Planning for Full-Time Travelers - How do you plan for retirement as a full-time traveler? What is retirement anyway? Regardless of your lifestyle, here are some controversial musings.
- Financial Travel Tip #105: What to do When Your Passport is Lost or Stolen - Here's what to do when your passport is lost or stolen while you're traveling - advice based on experience.
- Financial Travel Tip #29: Getting Rid of Your Crap - When I sold everything to travel full-time, I SOLD EVERYTHING! Here's how I did it, with some tips on how you can make a few bucks selling things you don't need.
- Financial Travel Tip #45: Saving Money(?) by Volunteering - Saving money: Although volunteering isn't necessarily the cheapest option, nor is it always what you thought it would be, it can be a very enriching travel experience.
- Financial Travel Tip # 125: Things Tourists Overpay For - Here are a few typical things tourists overpay for, and how to avoid becoming the next casualty. Also: how you can design your own lifestyle business.
- Financial Travel Tip #53: Getting Out of Debt to Travel - Getting out of debt to travel is just as much about your mindset and how you set goals as it is about the act of paying stuff off. Here's a secret or two....
- Financial Travel Tip#77: Free Accommodation with Home Exchanges - Here's the scoop on getting free accommodation (and having your own place looked after in your absence) - with home exchanges.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.