Financial Travel Tips
Travel and Finance are very complementary topics that few people like to talk about. I take it one step further having perfected the art of full-time financially sustainable travel. Would you like to learn how to do it yourself? Then sign up for my FREE series and kick-start your own travel adventure!
Being a former Certified Financial Planner, I helped people to refocus on their life’s ambitions and dreams and engineer their finances to get them there.
And being a full-time traveler, I’ve perfected the art of lifestyle design to enable my own dreams of full-time travel in a financially sustainable manner. I’ve been doing it since 2007, so the proof is in the pudding!
Below is a random collection of my Financial Travel Tips (released weekly each Saturday), addressing a variety of topics and techniques related to travel and finance – and the unique marriage of the two. For a full listing of my Financial Travel Tips, check out this page.
Please enjoy. And if there are specific financial travel tips you’d like to see addressed here, contact me with your question and I’ll do my best to answer it in a future weekly Financial Travel Tip!
- Financial Travel Tip #86: Frequent Flyer Mile Tracking Sites - If you're committed to frequent flyer mile stardom, you need a way to track multiple memberships and balances. Here are 3, with a special deal for you.
- Financial Travel Tip #51: Ordering Things You Need Online - As a traveler, ordering things you need online is a necessity, but it's not always easy. Here are some tips to effectively and securely place online orders.
- Financial Travel Tip #48: Staying on Budget With Envelopes - Here's an old school trick for staying on budget while you're on the road - or at home.
- Financial Travel Tip #81: Free Accommodation With House-Sitting - House-sitting is one of my favourite ways to get free accommodation and balance the work of managing an online business. Here's how to do it yourself.
- Financial Travel Tip #31: Location Independent Careers - Having a location independent career frees you up for world travel, family time, rural life, or other lifestyle benefits. Here are some resources to start with!
- Financial Travel Tip #27: Where to Invest Your Travel (and Other) Savings - How do you invest your money when traveling? Here's an overview of my own investment plan, with information on asset allocation so you can design your own.
- Financial Travel Tip #9 – Getting the Lowest Price on Airfare - I often use frequent flyer miles, but sometimes it's best to pay cash for a flight. Here are some ways to get the lowest price on airfare, even after you buy.
- Financial Travel Tip #89: Protecting Your Laptop and Data While Traveling - Travel presents many perils to the poor laptop. Here's how I protect my laptop (physically), as well as my data against various threats and mishaps.
- Financial Travel Tip #13: Managing Currency Conversion Rates - Here are some tips for managing currency conversion rates while you travel, and keep the associated fees to a minimum.
- Financial Travel Tip #104: Free Tours & Local Friends with Global Greeter Network - A free tour and a new local friend, you say? Yes, please! Similar to hospitality exchanges, here is another useful travel tool: Global Greeter Network.
- Financial Travel Tip #58: Souvenirs, and Controlling Impulse Buys - Here are some tips on how to accumulate "useful" souvenirs, and to control impulse buys on the road.
- Financial Travel Tip #20: Buying a Car Abroad - If you stay somewhere long enough, you might be tempted to buy a car abroad. Here are some tips to make sure you get the best value from this "investment".
- Financial Travel Tip #62 – The Importance of a Power of Attorney - Here are some advantages of having a power of attorney for property when you are traveling.
- Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free) - Here's how you can fly around the world - in business class no less - for (almost) free. No really! I've done it!
- Financial Travel Tip #94: Before You Quit Your Day Job… - Before you quit your day job, there's something you need to do that will immeasurably improve your travels and quality of life. Read on...
- Financial Travel Tip #26: “Creating” Money for Travel with the Prosperity Game - Do you wish you could snap your fingers to generate all the money you need? Well, you can't, but you can play a cool Prosperity Game to help the process along.
- Financial Travel Tip #106: Beware – Couch Surfing for Sex - Beware: travelers and hosts are out there, couch surfing for sex. Here are thoughts on this phenomenon, with tips if couch surfing for sex isn't your thing.
- Financial Travel Tip #6 – Managing Finances Securely While Traveling - Managing cash, debit and credit cards, passwords and PINs, online accounts, and minimizing risks and transaction fees - AND all securely while traveling? Whew.
- Financial Travel Tip #43: Starting a Business You Can Travel With - Here are some tips (and ideas) for starting a business you can travel with.
- Financial Travel Tip #83: Frequent Flyer Mile Accumulation for Canadians - Canadian Free Flyers is a frequent flyer mile program just for Canadians, with easy access to all the deals and steals we Canucks can take advantage of.