Travel Cost Calculator

by Nora Dunn on April 29, 2009

Alas, at last. A tool to help me calculate the cost of traveling. (Well, not quite, but it’s darn close).

Check out the handy Travel Cost Calculator below, and you too, will discover the cost of accommodation and food in any given city. Remember to choose budget, mid range, or luxury too – based on your style of traveling.

This, and a bunch of other cool travel widgets can be found at Tripbase.

Nomada23 May 20, 2009 at 12:24 am

Unless this is for the super rich, it is totally useless and disuades tourism. I put it in for my own city and I was shocked at the daily cost it showed. With that daily budget for a month you could rent a mansion and eat at the fanciest restaurants daily.

theprofessionalhobo May 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm

@Nomada23 – Did you select budget, mid-range, or luxury? After you enter the city, it spits out a number that is considered to be mid-range. (And I guess after you factor in mid-range budget for both accommodation and food, might be reasonable. At least if it is on the high end, I’d be pleasantly surprised once I arrive).
I usually click on the budget option after that, and the price per day for accommodation & food drops dramatically.

Jane May 26, 2009 at 4:23 pm

I’m trying to imagine how one can get lodging and food for $39 a day in some cities (cough, Miami). In your experience, would this be like getting a rare spot in an elusive hostel (here they’re always packed and you must book months in advance) and eating a burger for every meal? How have your trips to the most expensive cities fared in this respect? I don’t mean to sound bratty if I do.

Jane May 26, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Oh. I forgot to check Miami Beach and not Miami. Then that is pretty accurate.

theprofessionalhobo May 26, 2009 at 4:49 pm

@Jane – No worries! These little tools certainly aren’t foolproof, and certainly doing proper research on how and when to book is important (case and point: people need to book well in advance in Miami).
But for basic initial budgeting purposes – without having to scour a pile of websites and search engines to figure it out yourself – I trust it.

misty September 17, 2009 at 1:58 am

Can i download any soft ware that can help with travel cost calculator

theprofessionalhobo September 17, 2009 at 7:40 am

@Misty – I don’t know that they have any software you can download….is the calculator not working for you, or do you need additional tools?

Arjun April 5, 2010 at 7:19 am

I thought this was pretty accurate. I’m from Bombay (now Mumbai) and initially i thought that the cost associated with Mumbai were a little too high. But then i figured that it would cost that much if yr paying for acco, food and cabs within the city.
Of course, a local would know of cheaper alternatives, so this tool isn’t accurate. But my guess is that it is meant to be indicative, which i think it achieves pretty well.

theprofessionalhobo April 5, 2010 at 11:11 pm

@Arjun – Absolutely – if you know a local who knows where to go, then your costs to travel are much lower. This calculator assumes that you don’t know any locals and stick to the “tourist trail” for the most part! My own expenses in New Zealand have been much lower than the estimates, but only because I’ve been the grateful recipient of lots of Kiwi hospitality and/or have worked in trade for accommodation and food.

kristen July 1, 2010 at 12:13 pm

we’re soon to be taking a 4 day trip to sarnia, ontario.. we have limited funds, and a family of four. what tips and tricks might you have if i’m trying to eat on a budget? i’ve already got lodging, for which i am paying approximately $150 for three nights. i’m trying to see if i can get away with only spending about $100 for food for all four days. think i can do it?

theprofessionalhobo July 3, 2010 at 1:50 pm

@Kristen – I think you can most certainly do it, if you have a kitchen in your accommodation. Otherwise, you’ll have to get creative, but either way I’d recommend shopping at grocery stores. If you don’t have a kitchen, buy things that don’t need refrigeration, and go for the picnic option! Enjoy your trip…

Curtis Allaire October 26, 2010 at 12:38 am

Do you be ok if I repost this on my blog? I just want to make sure credit is given where it is due. Hope you have a great day!

theprofessionalhobo October 26, 2010 at 1:30 am

@Curtis – As far as I know, you can pull the html code off Tripbase and use the Travel Cost Calculator widget on your site, no problem. If you’d like to repost this actual post here, I’d just ask that you only post the first paragraph with a link back to the post – it’s better for SEO for both of us. Thanks for asking!