Brace Yourself: Travel Isn’t All Roses and Lollipops

by Nora on June 10, 2013

cloudy skies

I’ve had a few emails from readers asking for “the real deal” about the full-time travel lifestyle. They’re afraid that I – and other travel bloggers – tend to candy-coat the experience, and people want the dirt.

I have a funny way of turning a bad experience into a good one, so it stands to reason that my posts on the unsavoury side of full-time travel aren’t so easily located.

Never fear! I’m giving it to you both barrels today. So sit down, read on, and get depressed.

Here’s all the crappy stuff that has happened to me in my 8 years of full-time travel:

Romance Gone Wrong

I embarked on my full-time travels with a partner. We lasted a few years, but ended up breaking up in Australia (2010). Here’s what happened, along with some observations on how travel can be hard on a relationship:

Breaking Up While Traveling

Then, in New Zealand (2011), I sparked up a romance with a fellow dubbed my “Swedish Squeeze” (but commingling travel agendas wasn’t so easy):

Romance on the Road

…and he “squeezed” somebody else while I wasn’t looking:

Being Thankful in Grenada

A new addition to this roundup as of February 2014: Yet another icky breakup on the road:

The Day I Was Dumped Via Instant Message

Theft

This is a new category added since originally publishing this piece, where I was robbed – by a house-guest; a saga indeed:

The Saga of My $10,000 Passport

And in 2014, my purse was stolen in Cusco:

The Day my Purse Was Stolen, and Lessons Learned

Hospital Visits, Illness

It all started in Hawaii (2008) when my partner (at the time) dropped a 5-gallon glass jar onto his toe. He thought the hospital was a good first line of defence.

It’s not.

Touring the Emergency Room

His hospital adventures were far from over though; a few months later he spent a week in a Thai hospital fighting for his life with Dengue fever. Here’s my account of a wee breakdown I had while picking up the slack:

Hospital Life with Dengue

This wasn’t my only kick at the can with dengue fever….I had it myself (and by myself) in Grenada in 2011:

Dengue Fever in Grenada

Oh yes, and I almost forgot – I got a neurological disease in Hawaii (2008):

An Introduction to Spearfishing…and Neurological Disease

…if you keep scrolling, my most dramatic hospital experience warrants a heading of its own…

Natural Disasters

Oh yes, I’ve had my share of encounters with natural disasters too.

The first was a dangerously close proximity to Cyclone Nargis (2008) which obliterated Burma while I was 100kms away in Thailand. I turned this into a good news story by launching an international fundraising campaign to help the victims.

Here’s the news story CBC did about it

And then, less than a year later in 2009, I was stuck smack dab in the middle of Australia’s worst-ever natural disaster, the Victorian Bushfires. The diary entry I kept that day was archived by the National Library of Australia as “a piece of history”:

Victorian Bush Fire Diary: February 7th – Day One

Victorian Bush Fires

I carried on the daily diary for 18 days; you can catch up on all the drama here:

Victorian Bush Fire Diary

As if all that wasn’t enough, in New Zealand (2011), I got hit with two cyclones one atop the other, which stranded me (and others) in the place we were staying, and also cut off the whole peninsula from the rest of the North Island.

Here’s the deal on that one

cyclones in New Zealand

The Life-Changing Accident

In early 2013, I faced my biggest challenge in all my travels thus far; my partner (at the time) and I were in a near-fatal head-on collision (we were on our scooter, and were hit by a car):

Crash! Bam! How My Life Changed in a Second

Which led to much pontificating while in the throes of purgatory while healing, and then trying to sort out legal and insurance issues (which are ongoing):

Hello? Universe? I’m Listening

Changing Perspective

I Feel Like the Kid from Jerry Maguire, But I’m No Sinead O’Connor

my train-wreck of a hairstyle

And feelings of “missing the boat” and losing traction in the travel blogging industry as a result:

Evolution of the Travel Blogging Industry, and the Third Age of Travel

Eventually, almost two years later, after breaking up with my partner and other difficult events that in one way or another are related to the accident, I had to sign off on ever getting insurance compensation:

Cutting Your Losses: Why I’m Losing in Order to Win

Encounters with Creepy Critters

In my first two weeks of volunteering in Hawaii (2007), I was nibbled on by centipedes – twice. While sleeping. In bed.

Sleep didn’t come easily after that.

Centipede Bites: The Worst Hawaii Has to Offer

…and the second attack a week later:

Just When we Thought it was Safe

Years later in Australia (2010), once I finally learned to sleep soundly again, I got 37 spider bites…while I slept:

Australian Seagulls, Spider Bites, and Blue Mountains

And again in Grenada (2011), I got devoured by icky bugs…and had some sort of centipede omen dropped at my doorstep on my first night there:

Wildlife in Grenada, For Better or Worse

Travel Fatigue, Loneliness, etc

Here are some of the more universal issues I’ve grappled with on the road, not the least of which are work-life-travel balance problems in trying to make my full-time travels financially sustainable:

Travel, Work-Life Balance, Time Management, and the Paradoxes Within

Solo Travelers Make Better Bloggers….or Do They?

My first pangs of “homesickness”, in 2008:

Homesick in Paradise

And hitting a wall after traveling at too quick a pace for too long (2011):

Travel Fatigue, and Slowing Down the Pace of Travel

The trials and tribulations of traveling solo and being alone:

Motion Sickness on the Road

Learning to be Alone in Grenada

Trying to decide on my next travel move (2011):

The Paralysis of Choice

Cumulative Ickiness

In 2012 shortly after arriving in Switzerland for a summer of house-sitting, a number of icky issues converged to truly formulate a crappy few days:

A Bad Day in the Life of A Professional Hobo

And some of the finer details you need to pay attention to when adopting a life of full-time travel:

14 Dirty Details of Traveling Full-Time

It’s Not All Bad!

If you’re still reading this and haven’t stabbed yourself yet or raced out and applied for the next day job you can find as an alternative to traveling, then you realize that sh*t happens. Many of these emotional and logistical problems could have happened anywhere, irregardless of my full-time traveling lifestyle.

You’ll also see that in most of the articles featured here, I manage to find a silver lining to the situation.

Heck – some of life’s greatest adventures are MIS-adventures. Our high moments wouldn’t be nearly as amazing without the context and perspective of a few low moments mixed in for good measure.

So get out there, and create some mis-adventures of your own!

Editor’s Note: Ironically, when I opened this post to upload it to my site, 2/3 of it was missing….the result of some sort of glitch, resulting in the loss of 2+ hours of work, which I had to re-do from scratch (and faulty memory). I guess the karma gods decided to help me REALLY understand yet another aspect of having a “bad day”!

Bring it on. This version is better anyway.

Josh @ I Ran So Far Away June 10, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thanks for dropping this less than 48 hours before I begin my own extensive travels. Time to cancel…nah, I’m undeterred. 🙂

It is good to see the flip side. I’ve had far more great times traveling than negative, but a couple of my absolute lowest moments were on the road and it’s pretty brutal to be so far from home in those moments. I’ve thought many times that traveling makes everything more intense. The good moments are truly great, but the bad moments are actually a bit worse.

theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Josh – Ha ha, how’s that for timing!
And you’re right; the tough moments in travel tend to be harder to handle, without the “comforts of home” and people who can add some context to your life to help you through it.
But the overused cliche is overused for a reason: “Whatever doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”!!

Gigi June 10, 2013 at 10:01 pm

So glad you’re okay after all the medical and natural disaster mishaps. Yikes.

Knock on wood, the worst health stuff I’ve had to deal with so far is the dog getting a weird fungus and me having to navigate the German healthcare system and beg for birth control pills. The worst travel experience was getting detained and interrogated by British Immigration (and I hope that’s the worst the universe has to dish up for a while; took me a while to recover).

theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 11:52 am

Gigi – Ailing pets during house-sitting gigs is no bowl of cherries either (been there), and I too, have had my adventures of getting prescriptions around the world.
And being detained by Immigration? Eeek. Never fun. Sounds like a post in the making to me! 😉

Gigi June 11, 2013 at 11:57 am
theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Whew – that’s quite a story! I too had a less-than-lovely experience with British customs once, but certainly not quite as dramatic; I never saw the little room of torture and cruel smirks.
Your story most emulates similar stories I’ve heard (and experienced)…about entry into the States. So many US customs officials have chips on their shoulders with assumptions that everybody who enters is trying to game the system and fall off the radar once inside.

I’m sure British people the world round will love my little parallel between the US and England….but I’m sorry to say…it’s true. (And I’m also sure it’s not exclusive, so nobody get your shirt in a knot!!! PS – My partner is British).

Gigi June 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Yeah. The US, UK, and Australia all have a reputation for senselessly unprofessional immigration experiences. I even heard about a poor Canadian woman who was banned from the US because she was carrying condoms and they decided that carrying condoms = being a prostitute. It’s so sad.

Angela June 11, 2013 at 4:10 am

Wow that is quite a list! Misadventures make for the best stories though 🙂 I hope everything is well and nothing ever happens to you again!

theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 11:55 am

Angela – I’m not so sure I’m going to be devoid of mis-adventures from now on, but I must also admit the adventures I’ve had have been pretty incredible. No complaints here!

Quade Baxter June 11, 2013 at 10:12 am

WOW! Even after reading thru all that I still plan to move into the world of long term travel…I guess that makes me an enthusiast or just plain nuts!
I love your writing, always a great read and education at the same time.

theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 11:57 am

Thanks, Quade! I’m glad you’ve not been dissuaded; like I said, you gotta take the bad with the good! I don’t know if my icky experiences have been disproportionate, but I don’t feel hard done by, and certainly at no point was I tempted to throw in the towel because of my mis-adventures.
Happy travels!

Linda McCormick June 11, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Oh God, Nora… I was starting to giggle a little, thinking “How bad can it get?” Then thought, well, ‘suppose it is over 7 years. Still, not sure you’re jinxed 😉

theprofessionalhobo June 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Linda – Funny you should mention….after the first two natural disasters, people started suggesting I needed to NOT be wherever they were….for fear that I bring natural disaster with me! (I turned it around by suggesting it’s not the natural disaster that I bring; it’s the ensuing relief efforts that I throw myself into!)

grasya June 12, 2013 at 12:23 pm

i also begun to think that jinxed is my last name… but hey, misadventures are still stories to tell in my blog 😀

Richard June 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Unbelievable, these are not made up stories for sure. You just can’t make this stuff up! Amazing how patient, resilient one must become, as this doesn’t always come natural. What’s the saying, ‘If it doesn’t kill ya, it only makes you stronger’. 🙂
I really love your writing, so honest, entertaining and full of priceless information. Thanks so much for always finding a Silver Lining.

theprofessionalhobo June 13, 2013 at 12:10 pm

So true, Richard! And I’m glad you’re not depressed by my tales of woe! I really don’t consider any of these experiences to be burdens; just life-shaping experiences, for better or worse. And I always love a good yarn… 😉

Tim H June 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm

You should compare this list with a list of all the awesome things you have done. If bad divided by good approaches zero your life rocks.

theprofessionalhobo June 13, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I’m already on it, Tim! I think if I compare the amazing times with the crappy ones, I’m still coming up roses…

Turner June 13, 2013 at 1:32 am

Nice roundup. I didn’t know you were bitten by a Scolo!

theprofessionalhobo June 13, 2013 at 12:12 pm

A Scolo? Is that my fancy neurological disease? That was fun. Much more amusing than annoying really. But I figured it was still worth a mention in this lovely roundup!

Anthea June 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

Hello Nora,
Im nevvvvver going to complain again about my 3 years world travel…. cos apart from being physically attacked in Buenos Aries ( they wanted my camera), and my computer and all electrical goods being stolen out of my hotel room in Peru, the only other natural disaster l’ve encountered was the Japanese Tsunami hitting the Galapagos Islands and having to be evacuated to the high country.. ( btw 600m above sea level in my mind doesn’t count as High country in my terminology ! LOL).
However, l lived in Melbourne when those dreadful bush fires killed 202 people and supported the fund-raisers as best l could. However being a local in Melbourne and use to bush fires is not the same as being a tourist. So it must have been scary stuff for you?
However as always.. you make me smile.. you make me cry and most of all you make me laugh !!
Your writings always bring the human element into it, and thats why l love reading them.
Ps – I think you’ve used up your 9 lives missy LOL so Lets hope 2013-2014 brings better luck and no more disasters follow you any more!!!
all the best,
Anthea

theprofessionalhobo June 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hey Anthea – Thank you! The human element comes from simply writing as I would talk to my best friend. No holds barred! 🙂
And as for my 9 lives, indeed – I hope I’m done with crappy stuff for a while. But truth be told, if you spread out these events over the last 7 years, I’m still not doing too badly.
I haven’t been attacked or had anything stolen….I think losing my computer would be far more tragic than many of the things that actually DID happen to me – ha ha! 🙂

As for the bush fires….yes, it was pretty terrifying, especially to be in the midst of it all and evacuated from the place I was living for almost a month while the fires continued to burn across my back yard (the Black Range).
I slept on pub floors, in sanctioned tents for the firefighters, and in the homes of people who hadn’t lost their homes. But really….my problems were so very minimal in comparison to those who lost everything – and everybody – in their lives.
I was simply happy to be able to lend a helping hand, and I was touched and amazed at how Australians all over the country came together to help each other in any way they could.
It was heartwarming, and ultimately a tale of amazing survival.

Gabriel Harding June 13, 2013 at 11:10 am

Wow. It’s true a lot can happen and sometimes does but you get so much more from traveling that it makes it ok. And then you could travel for your whole life and run into very few or no problems at all.

theprofessionalhobo June 13, 2013 at 12:19 pm

You got it, Gabriel! And a good number of the things that happened to me could have happened to anybody – traveling or not. I don’t feel AT ALL hard done by.

Gabriel Harding June 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Exactly! Fall asleep on your couch and you could wake up with a bunch of spider bites =P. Not likely but still possible =)

theprofessionalhobo June 14, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Hey – stranger things have happened! At the time I was staying in a very civilized home of friends; they had just re-arranged the room and unwittingly uprooted a nest. Who knows – maybe you have a nest under your couch…..rest well! Ha ha ha 😛

Dan @ A Cruising Couple June 15, 2013 at 1:26 am

I am thoroughly impressed with your passion and determination! Keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of your stories, the good and the bad.

theprofessionalhobo June 15, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Thanks Dan – stay tuned! I’ll come out with a positive-story second part to this bad-news post as well!

Mariellen Ward June 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hi Nora, I can totally relate to what your saying, and the thoughts running through your head. I had a bit of a meltdown last winter, while travelling in India, and realized I needed to BE HOME. It’s okay. We all have our own journey and our own destination, and there is really no point in comparing yourself to someone else. You can get ideas and clues from seeing what others are doing, but you have to follow your own path. You have always had a niche, which is a great theme to hang on to in uncertain times, it seems to me. I feel the same way. I have always followed the beat of my own drum, and have sometimes felt I painted myself in a corner. (Sorry about all the metaphors, don’t want to get too specific about my situation in a comment.) You have to believe in yourself and trust your gut instincts. Sometimes, comets that flare burn out … Just keep doing what you do, and spend some time figuring out what you want, and where you want to be. Keep your eye on the prize!

theprofessionalhobo June 16, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Thank you, Mariellen, for such thoughtful – and insightful – words! I too, have had a recent call to stop living on other people’s territory, hence the movement towards setting up my own home base in Grenada; a place where I can still feel like a traveler every day, but also where my place is MINE. It’s actually very freeing! 🙂

I’m not afraid of change, even if the change (initially) seems to be counter-intuitive (ie: having a home base as a “full-time traveler”).
Life is too short….and destiny is a direction, not a fixed place.

Ryan brown June 20, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I JUST wrote a similar post on this topic. Great article! It is so true though, it isn’t all fields of roses and frolicking in the sun. Shit happens, and sometimes really bad shit. I wrote an example if a friend stepping in bear shit while hiking the Skyline Trail in Nova Scotia. He was angry, but I asked him, “would you rather step in an epic pile of shit produced by a badass grizzly bear while hiking through highlands, or step on a puny dookie produced by a sweater wearing poodle when you leave your office cubicle?”

Travel is hard, but that’s why we choose it over the “easy” life.

theprofessionalhobo June 20, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hey Ryan – Ha ha: AWESOME story! And a lovely analogy indeed. 😉

Wind in Her Hair November 23, 2013 at 4:28 am

I have so got that t-shirt. All of them. Deadly fevers, one in Africa and one in Italy. A major injury that left me scarred for life that was never sutured…I got through it with huge pieces of gauze, tape, and tequila and went out dancing the next night on New Years’ Eve. But don’t count me out of the foreign hospital ordeals. Haven’t done a breakup but have done plenty of matrimonial arguments; real tearful doozies that would make for entire episodes of the Adventures of Ricky and Lucy. I’ve been through political upheaval and danger. And creepy critters? It was only this past March I woke up in Africa, having been dazedly fingering a deadly spider in my bed, thinking it was one of the tropical flowers that the maid decorated the bed with the night before. “Hey! Autonomous creature here!” It yelled after being flung to the floor when I came to my senses. And I don’t see that you have listed among your travel hazings the quintessential Muslim world ‘Experiences with Female Oppression’? No detention for nail polish and tales of acquired scarf claustrophobia syndrome? No being caught with your hair down while stomping on your scarf, and dropping an F-bomb while the elevator door opens upon unsuspecting male locals?

What are the chances that we’ve probably met? Enjoying your blog.

theprofessionalhobo November 24, 2013 at 11:41 am

LOL! No, you’re right – you’ve got the Muslim experiences covered for me! I’m with you in that elevator….. 😉