Wheeled Backpacks: Why They’re the Best, and Tips for Buying One

by Nora Dunn on December 10, 2012

wheeled backack

In six+ years of full-time travel, my backpack/suitcase/whatever has assumed the functionality of my “house” (and them some) – keeping all my possessions safe while enduring the hard knocks of travel.

I’ve lived out of a bag for over 6 years.

Or rather, a few bags.

And I’ve determined (and demonstrated by example) that wheeled backpacks are the best for travel – any kind of travel.

(And I’ve done most kinds).

I started with a backpack…

…as many budget travelers do. Actually I started my full-time travels with my second backpack, thinking I was smart for ditching the first one. (This turned out to be a smart move, but sadly not smart enough).

My First Backpack – Lowe Alpine

My first (pre-full-time traveling) backpack is a discontinued version of this Lowe Alpine backpack, as pictured here.
It was a pretty simple, bare bones deal, that I took to South Africa for a month.

There, I realized three impracticalities of this bag:

• Walking into fancy hotels with a backpack is no fun (it was a pretty swish trip)
  • Accessing the contents from only the top or bottom is painful. I usually couldn’t see what I needed in the dark abyss of bag contents, and had to remove everything just to find it.
  • The total lack of extra pockets or reasonable ways to segregate gear further exaggerated the above problem.

So I ditched the backpack…

…and bought another backpack. (I still had a few lessons to learn about why backpacks suck).

I applied the above lessons by getting one that had a zipper for side-access (as well as top and bottom), and some extra pockets. As for traipsing into swishy hotels with a backpack, I didn’t think my full-time travels would allow much luxury so I conceded to the “practicality” of a backpack.

My new pack of choice was the Gregory Deva:

Although this backpack was great for proper mountaineering and trips into the wilderness, it sucked for travel. Or rather, it sucked for me – and I realized that I hate backpacks in general. Here’s why:

• They kill your back. Hoisting them on and off is awkward, uncomfortable, and rarely graceful.
  • Two words: airport lineups. You either have to wear your pack the whole time you’re in line (which can be hours), or you have to unceremoniously kick it along, two feet at a time.
  • They’re incompatible with daypacks. I need a daypack to house my laptop and other carry-on essentials. So it means I’m one of those dorks with a big backpack on my back and a daypack on my front. (Sorry if you’re one of those “dorks” – but I think it looks ridiculous, and I know from experience that it’s hot and uncomfortable).
  • No matter how many zippers they add, I still couldn’t find what I needed, and regularly had to pour out all the contents to find it. (can you feel my aggravation building?)
  • Rogue backpack straps and airport conveyor belts do not play well together. I was perpetually worried that my bag would be ripped to shreds (with all my precious contents) on every flight.
  • Lastly, although I hadn’t anticipated luxury in my full-time travels, it has happened from time to time. I’ve received sponsorships and travel opportunities through my freelance writing career, and I just don’t like lugging a backpack. It’s a stigma. And when first impressions count I like to look professional (as any Professional Hobo should!); doing it with a backpack is an uphill battle.

My journey to the wheeled backpack

Living and volunteering in a hostel in Kona, Hawaii was a great way to suss out gear and destinations through recommendations from the steady stream of travelers. I saw so many bags come through that place, and then one day, accompanied by a beacon of light and angel-song, I saw this:

It was love at first sight.

The news got even better when I discovered it was very inexpensive – under $200 (at the time of writing it’s under $100!), and solved so many of my problems!

The High Sierra Overpass wheeled backpack with detachable daypack changed my life because:

• The main bag opens completely up, allowing me to easily see and access the contents.
  • There are a few mesh dividers and such to help keep stuff separate.
  • The zip-away straps are available for use whenever wheels are inconvenient (for example on rough terrain or when navigating a lot of stairs).
  • It has a matching daypack that zips onto the main bag meaning you only have one ultimate bag to cart around (though admittedly I usually preferred to wear my daypack since it had my laptop in it).
  • The wheels….oh my….the wheels. Although I was doubtful as to how much I would use the wheels (somehow I felt they’d be impractical), I ended up using them all the time. In fact, in the three years that I lived out of this bag, I used the straps….twice. Yup, twice. (Once in Spain when I had to walk for 45 minutes on a cobblestone street, and once in Malaysia when I had to walk on a non-existent road).

Given how rarely I used the backpack straps, you might wonder why I bothered getting another wheeled backpack when this one bit the dust after three years of abuse. But I have to admit, straps are still a practical feature to have in a bag, to help you get through whatever craziness your travels might throw at you.

My current bag

When traveling, a warranty policy is only as good as the nearest dealer, which is rarely around the corner. So when the zipper irreparably broke on my High Sierra bag while in northern Sweden, I had a week to buy another bag before immediately putting it through its paces on the Ultimate Train Challenge.

There wasn’t much choice, and nothing was cheap (it’s Sweden). But this Osprey Sojourn ended up being a pretty good option:

It doesn’t have a detachable daypack, but I still had the High Sierra daypack (which has since been replaced with a Pacsafe backpack – one of my Passports With Purpose wins, and since I rarely use the straps, attaching the daypack isn’t paramount.

Although it’s technically the same (approx) 60 litres that the High Sierra had, the Osprey feels like it has way more space.

When I don’t pack it to the gills, the outer compression straps reduce the overall bag size.

It’s very sturdy, and feels solid. Unfortunately this adds to the weight of the bag.

BUT…despite this aura of durability, both zipper pulls broke in less than a year, which I had to improvise fixes for on the fly. I wouldn’t have expected this so quickly from a name like Osprey. I’m also waiting for the extendable handle (a crucial part of the bag for me) to break – it felt loose in its casing right from the start and I can’t figure out how to tighten it.

So would I buy the Osprey Sojourn again? Probably not. But would I buy a wheeled backpack again? You bet.

Wheeled Backpacks: The Good

The wheels are invaluable – and almost always usable. My compadres on the Ultimate Train Challenge were immediately enamoured with the bag, whilst lugging their backpacks around Europe and Asia. They both vowed to replace their packs with something similar to mine.

The straps are there if you need them. And sometimes, you do.

Because of the easy access to contents, they’re a dream to live out of.

Wheeled Backpacks: The Bad

They’re heavier. This is the price you pay for having wheels on your pack.

Don’t expect to go hiking into the wilderness with the backpack straps on, or even walking very far, because wearing the straps is very uncomfortable. Both of my wheeled backpacks were murder on the lower back with the hard base and wheels at the bottom. So if you’re a traveler who enjoys trips to the wilderness, bring along a lightweight summit pack – like the Outdoor Research Dry-Comp Summit Pack – which is one of my favourite pieces of travel gear.

Tips for Finding Your Own Wheeled Backpack

Look for padded shoulder straps, as well as a proper waist belt and chest strap. The waist belt is imperative, otherwise you’ll destroy your shoulders and back, and the chest strap keeps the pack closer to your body so you aren’t pulled backwards.

Look for really sturdy side and top handles (yes, you need both); they’re imperative for lifting and carrying the bag – which you’ll inevitably need to do.

Check those zippers; they’ll be the first thing to go, so make sure they’re solid to being with.

Water resistant is good, since you never know when you’ll be stuck in the rain.

With any bag, try to limit the number of zippers accessing the main contents. I use a TSA lock on my bag (for general security on the ground, as well as when flying). Too many zippers means either a ridiculous number of locks, or compromised security.

What are your experiences? What’s your favourite travel bag of all time?

NOTE: My luggage strategy has changed again! Although I still stand by everything in this post, you may want to see how – and why – I’m now a roll-aboard girl only, and what criteria you need to decide what’s best for you.

The Best Luggage for Long-Term Travel: Backpacks vs Rolling Luggage

Jack Proulx December 10, 2012 at 10:41 am

Great article. Last month I went camping with a group of people on a trek to a remote hot springs high up in a canyon in the Baja. While we were gathering and getting ready to cross the border, a small woman from Italy rolled up with her rather large suitcase. I wondered what she might have been thinking. She did know where we were going, right? As I struggled with my “manly” 80 lb pack across the border, she casually wheeled across. When we got to our destination and had chosen our campsites – hers being the toughest spot to get to – I asked her if she needed any help getting her “suitcase” up the cliffs. She said no, unpacked the straps and up she went. My jaw dropped and I knew what I would be buying in the near future. Thanks for the recommendations. I think the expandable models are more what I’m looking at – a backpack/daybag can always be attached to the outside with some quick release straps. Thanks for the timely article.
Jack

theprofessionalhobo December 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hey Jack – What a great story! I wouldn’t want to go camping with a wheeled backpack….that lady is gutsy! But it’s further testament to the versatility of a wheeled backpack. Glad you agree!

Danny B December 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Let me start off that I knew I wasn’t the only person to have discovered the joys of a wheeled backpack. I’ve been a long time traveller that went through similar experiences with eventually finding the right bag for city hopping as well as long stays with short side trips.

My golden moment is when I found the North Face Doubletrack.
Here’s a youtube review for it latest incarnation:

I’ll tell you right now I love this bag and I’ve had this thing all over Europe. Up/down stairs, cars, boats, buses, dirt and cobblestone roads, and when I needed to, on my back very comfortably. Not only were the straps comfy, most of the weight rested on the hip strap that wasnt cheap by any means. Held the weight well, and for having that bag just completely maxed out weight wise for the trans-atlantic flights it wasn’t always fun.
The day pack is the best feature other than the comfy shoulder and the solid extendable handle on the bag itself. The removable daypack fit my 17″ laptop plus camera stuff, documents etc and its been my motorcycle back pack for 4 years now, such a great daypack.

I’m going to receive the North Face Longhaul 30 soon and compare it to the Double Track. Should be a great addition as well to go with it.

Highly recommend checking the Doubletrack out :)

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

Hey Danny – Thanks for the tip about the Doubletrack! How big is it? Will the North Face Longhaul 30 be downsizing?

Danny B December 11, 2012 at 12:49 pm

My Doubletrack is 25″ high and yes there is a medium and small version of the Longhaul. I got the 30″ because its strictly for taking things to a homebase overseas and leaving it there while out and about trekking.
And speaking of the zippers, they are top notch and the North Face warranty is great on their packs. In the past when the outer restraint clips broke from the airlines thoroughly thrashing them, TNF sent me new ones.

Mina December 10, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Funny thing: I searched your website (that I discovered very recently) a couple of days ago to find an article about what backpack or suitcase you used – so imagine my (happy) surprise when I found this post on my rss feed :)
I’m looking for the perfect bag and am currently completely lost: I had my eye on the Osprey Meridian, but the wheels seem to add so much weight, and even then I don’t know what size to get. But your article did help, so thanks!

Mina December 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Oh, and do you know that you can contact Osprey about your broken zipper pulls? I read online an article about someone who had the same problem, Osprey apparently mailed them replacements.

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

Hi Mina – Good luck in your search for an appropriate pack. The extra weight of wheeled backpacks are only a problem in two ways:
1) If you pack enough (heavy) stuff in it that you have trouble keeping it within airline’s standard weight limits (which range from 15kg-23kg depending on the airline)
2) If you plan to try and go hiking with the pack.
Otherwise I haven’t noticed the extra weight, since I can wheel the pack around just about everywhere!

And thanks for the tip about Osprey. It’s good to know their after-care service is better than what I experienced with High Sierra.

Josie December 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Conrad and I use rolling duffles which have tons of room and come which a detachable shoulder strap. Then we have our carry-on-size backpacks with padded computer pockets — and those double as our main luggage when going on side trips.
Works for us old folks!
~Josie

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

Hey Josie – I’ve often looked at rolling duffles as an option, and the shoulder strap solves the problem of going hands free if you need to. Sweet!

Dyanne@TravelnLass December 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Ah yes, after 30+ years of travel, it is the dear WBP (Wheeled BackPack – with straps and zip-off rucksack) that gets my vote every time.

Yep, the wheels add a smidge to the weight, but waaaaay make up for it in wheelability. Indeed, on any given trip (and I travel pretty much off the grid much of the time), those wheels can be utilized close to 95% of the time (the zip-off rucksack goes on short overnight forays, hikes, etc.)

Just a little surprised though – you say 60 ltrs, plus your mention of “…backpack straps and airport conveyor belts do not play well together”.

Surely you don’t normally check baggage? My wheely with zip-off rucksack (the latter holds my electronics when checking in/going through security at airports) is just 50 ltrs and qualifies for carry-on. It hold all I need (incl. a net book, Kindle, camera, etc.) for – no matter, 3 weeks or 3 months – on the trail.

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:19 am

Hi Dyanne – Since I’ve been traveling with everything I own for six years (and have wanted to be relatively prepared for a number of destinations and climates, I haven’t quite managed to travel with carry-on only. (Both of these wheeled packs are just larger than allowable carry-on size).
But I’ve had a few occasions to travel for up to 3 months and leave my main pack behind. In those instances my daypack (with my computer etc) and my OR Summit Sack (with clothes etc) has more than sufficed.

Gigi December 10, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Aha! Finally a point on which we differ.

Pre-full time travels, my first bag was a wheeled duffle, which was quickly destroyed on cobblestones and dirt roads in the Australian Outback, returning home with a giant hole in its bottom. I swore off wheel bags ever since.

Of course, as you alluded to in your post, it all depends on how you travel. I frequently find myself walking with my pack on for long stretches and needing my hands free at the same time for directions, dog wrangling, etc., so a really comfortable backpack that distributes the weight properly on my hips and shoulders is a must for me.

And I find it kind of amusing to show up at a nice hotel with my hiking pack. I try to wear a dress while wearing it. That really confuses them. :)

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

Gigi – Agreed (on disagreeing)! Add the dog-wrangling pictures, and I can imagine you need to be hands-free. I wondered if the bottom of a wheeled duffle would be durable…I found the reinforced bottoms of the wheeled backpacks are quite sturdy.

Baron's December 11, 2012 at 12:20 am

Nora,
This is a great article and you have solved one of my biggest problems as far as getting the right gear is concerned…I’m going for it …I like the sounds of the High Sierra Overpass and they are about $ 99 something on amazon….love the day pack, cause just like you, I need my lap top almost 24/7…great stuff…thank you Nora.

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

Baron’s – You’re welcome! Let us know here how it works out for you.

Mae December 11, 2012 at 12:48 am

Great post! I too have went through this same situation and ended at the same solution. I went through about 4 different backpacks and a large duffel before I realized that I no longer wanted to be a walking target with the front/backpack thing going on. Now the only bag I use is the Eagle Creek Switchback 25 (they also have a 22 model that is carry-on friendly). It has a detachable daypack (with padded laptop section), padded backpack straps, and amazing warranty. If you ever need to buy luggage again, they are the brand to get. It is pricey at first but if you look at it as an investment, well worth it. They have a ‘No Matter What’ guarantee for most of their bags, which will cover repair or replacement for the bag, even if it switches owners. I have yet to need a repair and I’ve had my Switchback for 3 years and toted around 3 continents so far. I pretty much tell everyone I know and even those I don’t, that Eagle Creek is the only brand of luggage you will ever need.
*Honestly, I do not work for Eagle Creek. I just LOVE their luggage!

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Hi Mae – I looked at the Eagle Creek option when I was in Sweden, and would have preferred it, but there were none available and no time for shipping one in. Mental note: Eagle Creek! Thanks.

John Bardos - JetSetCitizen December 11, 2012 at 3:37 am

I don’t do any remote trekking with all my travel gear, so I’ve stopped using backpacks. (I have a small one for my computer and day use, but nothing that holds all my gear.

I use a hard shell Samsonite suitcase and it is fantastic. It is durable, water resistance, easy to clean and can’t be easily opened (when using a strap and/or lock). The extra large wheels make it easy to roll over the worst roads. I will never go back to a backpack again.

Most novice backpackers carry so much stuff with them, that they can’t do any trekking anyway. Why carry all that stuff on your back when you can roll it?

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:37 am

Hey John – Amen, brother! I have actually considered moving to a 100% rolling option (no straps) myself, but for the few times I have needed the straps, I’ve been glad they’re there.

Jonny Blair December 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

I love your site but i TOTALLY disagree with this point! I actually wrote a post last week on why you need a backpack, Wheeled bags are just too heavy for doing things like hikes, walking through deserts and forests etc! Keep up the good work and sorry to disagree but each to their own ;-)
My piece – http://dontstopliving.net/tuesdays-travel-essentials-a-backpack/
Jonny

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

Hi Jonny – It’s all about the style of travel you prefer. But…do you hike with everything you own/have? Or do you leave some stuff behind? Because if the hikes aren’t multi-day full-on camping experiences, I still think you can get away with a smaller light summit sack that fits into your normal luggage when you’re not using it.
But I’m not trying to convince you….happy to agree to disagree! :-)

Jonny Blair December 31, 2012 at 3:29 am

Hi Nora.
I always walk around with everything I have as I’ve become a bit nomadic!! Once I get to a hostel though if I’m doing a day hike/sightseeing I will just take my small bag for that of course and leave the rest in the hostel! A normal backpack with clothes and essentials should weigh no more than 10 kg, my smaller bag normally weighs half of that – I don’t see much need for anything heavier. My heaviest items are a laptop and a guide book, plus a bottle of water. I wear my only pair of shoes and carry my flip flops! Each to their own and my smaller bag does fit into my bigger one if need be ;-) Happy New Year!! Jonny (http://dontstopliving.net)

theprofessionalhobo December 31, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hey Jonny – So this begs two questions in my mind:
1) Do you travel to places with cold climates at all?
2) What shoes do you have? (Having one pair that can fit all purposes is quite a feat. I spent years looking myself)….

Jonny Blair December 31, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hi Nora – 1. Yes I do cold places a lot as well. I was in Antarctica back in 2010: http://dontstopliving.net/antarctica and recently did parts of Korea and China in winter. Having a ‘base’ to leave clothes etc. is something I rely on I must admit (I rented some of my Antarctic clothes and posted some to my family from Argentina after the trip). For a while I used Australia and Montevideo as a base to leave stuff, I now use Hong Kong as my base! 2. My shoes are simply Adidas blue shoes – I have used them for hiking before, BUT when I am working in PR or as a teacher I have my black shoes which I wear for those jobs then ditch them when I move on again. Will explain my travel ways in my forthcoming e-mail! Jonny

Jonny Blair December 31, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Apologies the link in the reply above should be http://dontstopliving.net/category/antarctica/ !!

Jo December 11, 2012 at 7:15 am

It’s always a great debate – the luggage. I’ve always used a antler wheeled suitcase (alas no straps) and an osprey day pack and both have served me well. I was thinking that I might have to move to a ‘backpack’ for longer journeys BUT after reading from the experts here I might change my mind and advance to a “wheeled backpack”.

Just a word about Osprey – that blessed airport screener did some major damage to the straps and Osprey replaced them no charge, even though it wasn’t a product fault, apparently they have a lifetime guarantee, might be worth a try?

theprofessionalhobo December 11, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hey Jo – Thanks for the advice about Osprey. I don’t doubt they’ll have a decent warranty program (it’s just a matter of getting in touch with them and trying to have something delivered to wherever I am).
What surprised me was how quickly the zipper pulls broke (like, in the first month). On a bag that otherwise seems very sturdy, this essential design element seemed lacking.

Scarlett December 12, 2012 at 3:38 am

I love the idea of a wheeled backpack – next time I o travelling I’m definitely getting one xx

theprofessionalhobo December 12, 2012 at 11:16 am

Scarlett – Sweet! You’ll love it. Happy travels!

Tim L. December 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I think this post should really be called “I never bought the right kind of backpack.”

Why in the world would you ever travel with a top-loading backpack meant for hiking if you were traveling around the world? You need a proper travel backpack that zips open in the front and has a separate compartment in the bottom. And with those you zip the straps into a a hidden flap and walk into your fancy press trip hotel with a suitcase, no problem. I’ve been doing that for 20 years now. And I’m not so young now.

I travel with a wheeled backpack or suitcase when I’m on assignment just going from airports to hotels in taxis, but knew that would be a nightmare when I was in SE Asia for three weeks with my family this summer. We watched SO many people struggling with their wheeled suitcases in Vietnam in was a running joke, even for my 12-year-old daughter. It was fun to watch, but kind of sad too.

theprofessionalhobo December 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hi Tim – I concede; I do know of better designed travel backpacks (which you describe) that solve many of the problems of the other (top loading) backpacks – but I hold staunch that the wheels have been way too good for me.
(Let’s not forget the straps on the wheeled backpack; there’s no reason to wheel around Vietnam if the conditions are bad. And I don’t plan on hiking endless miles through the city streets of Vietnam before I check into my accommodations anyway, so any discomfort of the wheeled pack is minimal).

Incidentally, I don’t disagree that a properly designed travel-centric pack as you describe is an ideal option. But why don’t more travelers have them? Why do I continue to see a prevalence of top-loading hiking-style packs?

Mo December 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

While the wheeled backpacks seem interesting, I think they are mostly suited to urban travel and would probably stick with a traditional pack if it was going to be on my back for any length of time. Not sure I’ll be switching just yet but thanks for a good article.

theprofessionalhobo December 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Hey Mo – Well, I can’t say I didn’t try! Ha ha. Happy travels! :-)

lynne April 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Are you aware of packs designed more for wilderness trail travel, ones like the dixonrollerpack.com ?
Supposedly there’s a handful of mom/pop operations who make these things and I’m trying to track them down. So far dixon is the only one I’ve seen, besides a french guy who’s made something called a trekkady (youtube) but hasn’t found anyone to manufacture it. Anybody else you’re aware of?

theprofessionalhobo April 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

I’d never heard of those before! They look very interesting, and great for backcountry camping or multi-day treks – but not so practical for travel purposes, I think. Then again…

lynne April 20, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Interestingly, those Dixon roller packs can convert within 60 seconds (so I’m told) to an external frame pack, with the wheel pointing downward! Other than “looking funny” as you stroll around because your pack is bigger than most others, or has a longer frame than others, it can function in both urban and wilderness settings.
I’m going to order one today…

theprofessionalhobo April 21, 2013 at 9:42 am

Will you be using the pack for travel or trail hiking? Post back here once you’ve had a chance to use it….let us know how you like it!

lynne April 21, 2013 at 11:54 am

Yes, I’ll do that! I just ordered it yesterday. The plan is to use it to hike the 600-mile Israel National Trail this fall. It will be “interesting” to see how I can manage boarding buses and whatnot when I’m using the rollerpack in its folded-up “external frame pack” configuration, since it’s about 50″ tall (which I think means about 2 feet of metal extends over my head).

theprofessionalhobo April 22, 2013 at 10:11 am

Lynne – A 600-mile hike? Wow! Given how much easier the trek itself will be with this pack, I think/hope any inconvenience of a larger pack frame for traveling on buses and such will be minimal.

Helen June 17, 2013 at 2:18 am

I am also researching a wheeled backpack for an up and coming 7 week trip to Sth America….so far I like the Osprey line but have recently come across a Macpac Koru, which is a bit pricey but looks and sounds good ( I am after one without the day pack). Wondering if anybody has traveled with the Macpac and how did it go

theprofessionalhobo June 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Helen,
I don’t have any experience with Macpac, but I’ve seen a few being put through their paces by friends, and it’s a solid piece of gear.
Let us know here what you go with and how it weathers your trip!

Helen June 18, 2013 at 6:00 am

Hi …purchased the Macpac, was lucky to buy online in a clearance sale, about half the RRP and free shipping from NZ to Australia. Will let you know what its like when it arrives and also give an update of how it stands up to the rigors of my trip. :)

theprofessionalhobo June 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Sweet! Keep us posted here! :-)

lynne June 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Here is my impression of the Dixon Rollerpack, having had it for a few weeks and logging a few dozen miles on local dirt roads and trails:
1–It’s hard to “forget” it’s there. In fact, it’s constantly reminding you by its constant tugging at your waist and shoulders. Every rock and bump creates a vibration that’s transmitted through the frame onto your body.
2–Steep hills (I mean more than 15% grades) are tough to negotiate as the unit will “trap” your feet underneath if you’re not careful. I tried a steep hill littered with rocks which I had to leap from one to another. It wasn’t a pleasant experience. I suppose I should have mounted it on my back from the get-go.

I’m stuck with it. I think there are trails tailor-made for this pack, like “The Way” in France/Spain where it’s mostly roads. The smoother the roads the better. I’m not sure it’s what I should be using in Israel. I’ve been told the southern 200 miles, the Negev desert, has about 100 miles of terrain requiring conversion to a backpack. Ugggg. However, the northern 2/3rds, 400 miles, are mostly roads or well-groomed trails. Yes! What to do???

theprofessionalhobo June 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hi Lynne,
Wow. I was worried the pack wouldn’t be practical, but my concerns were about the size and possible awkwardness of using it in transit. I didn’t expect it wouldn’t be good on the trails!

A dilemma indeed. I would say if you cringe every time you look at the pack, then taking it to Israel is off the list! Your bag becomes a part of you and is one of the few constants on such a trip…you need to be good friends with it. :-)

AH October 4, 2013 at 5:54 am

I know it’s an old post and article but I thought it raised some interesting points on choosing things that are fit for purpose.

If you’re not going to trek and will be travelling in places where you can wheel something, a robust suitcase would be better (like John Bardos’s Samsonite above). IMHO using straps twice in 3 years probably indicates to me that a tough suitcase would have been a better choice and you probably wouldn’t have gone through them as fast. But I get you are a professional hobo so you do need ultimate versatility.

Using anything other than a well fitting backpack with a frame for a 600 mile sounds crazy to me. I can see that something like that roller pack may be useful if you have knee problems (although it does seem a bit faddy). IMO if you choose a pack that fits you, your back, and pack the weight correctly it should most definitely NOT “kill your back”!

I’ve got an uber serious framed MacPac because when I went backpacking I had quite a few periods of intense trekking carrying reasonable weights. It wasn’t really that practical for general hostel-type stuff, but it was the most comfortable one FOR ME and I figured that was the priority so I compromised. A friend I met used a wheeled suitcase with a proper framed backpack packed inside. For the treks she used the backpack, everywhere else she got by with the suitcase.

Anyway, my point is that I think people should consider what THEY need and choose the right tool for the job. Practice and experience obviously help, but IMO there is rarely “one bag”. 9/10 most people are usually better off having a few options and then choose according to the trip.

theprofessionalhobo October 4, 2013 at 1:08 pm

Hi AH,
Great observations, and a great point: the perfect pack is a very individual thing.
Indeed; my own style of travel has changed enough over the years that, if and when I get my next pack, I’ll save myself the hassle of the straps and just get a nice wheeled case. I’ll still insist on side and top handles (the two handles together make it much easier for carrying up and down stairs).

But I must counter one point you made; even a well-fitting pack will most certainly “kill your back”! I don’t know how old you are; I’m closer to 40 than 30 – which isn’t old, but is an age where ridiculous things like throwing out your back can happen with weights and situations much more sedentary than hauling a heavy pack onto my back!
Traveling with a backpack in general is a thing of the past for me, as it presents unnecessary strain on my back.

Jessica July 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

My backpack has the best of both! It has wheels and a detachable day pack but the wheeled backpack also comes with a waist and shoulder straps so you can easily carry it if you are in situations you can’t roll. I ran into that quite a bit in SE Asia where rolling wasn’t really an option. Finding a backpack that works for you though is a process like finding the perfect pair of jeans haha.

theprofessionalhobo July 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Hi Jessica – That was exactly what the High Sierra pack was, as you described. It was awesome!
And indeed, everybody will love their packs in different ways (like the perfect pair of jeans); you MUST love your pack since it’s your most constant companion on the road, and can make or break your trip!

lynne October 4, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Update…I did go to Israel but without the rollerpack. Instead I used my trusty Jansport Scout external frame pack. Reason being, if I did need a rollerpack (not the Dixon style but one called a monopack made in Germany) there was someone who owned one in Israel. He was willing to let me use it if I wanted.
Turns out I tried it out at his house but decided against it. (Yes, the issue of climbing on and off crowded buses was one concern. It would have been stowed underneath but I just didn’t want to call attention to myself or deal with the hassles of something so “odd” and relatively cumbersome.)
No matter, the weather was so unbelievably hot (over 105 F) I cut my journey short, pledging to return in a cooler season (Dec., Jan., Feb.) So the jury’s still out on roller packs. I think I’ll try mine on some local trails and get more familiar with it before hauling it overseas.

theprofessionalhobo October 4, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Hi Lynne,
Good for you for flexing with whatever travel! throws at you! I had my doubts about traveling with the rollerpack, but it does still look like a pretty good trail companion (depending, as we’ve discussed, on the terrain).
Happy traveling….and packing! :-)

Jonas October 30, 2013 at 6:04 am

There are so many things to this topic! Love this post. The main thing is to define your style of travelling just as you say.
I did 2 months in the states (i’m from Sweden, so no cheap bags for me..) and I wanted a pack that looked decent, could haul A LOT (going to burning man) and at the same time being lightweight, cheap and have both backpack straps and wheels. Not easy but my choice became snugpak kitmonster 110l. At $100, approximately 4 punds, back straps, wheels AND shoulder strap it was perfect for a trip of city life+road trips+burning man. It swallows everything and is quite sturdy. I had about 30kg packed most of the time and then a weekend bag with a backpack in it for carry on stuff. Packing a bag in another i find really handy. I am extremely style focused but obviously would never use this for any form of trekking. The backpack i had in the weekend bag would work for that at around 30 litres. However this is not at all my normal life on the road. I have a flat in stockholm and one in gothenburg and commute to the capital for work. I need a backpack/roller that fits about a weeks worth of stuff, but sometimes also a lot more when for example there is a need to move wardrobes. This is a hard one but through the comments here i found the eagle creek morpheous that could actually be my perfect bag in combo with a messenger bag. I have been looking at timbuk2 wheeled aviator whick could work for me both stylewise and sizewise, but its quality doesn’t seem to hold up. Guess that should work with a lifetime warranty.
Ideally I’ll also like as high waterproofness as possible since its always raining in gothenburg. Tough decisions…

theprofessionalhobo October 30, 2013 at 9:45 am

Hi Jonas,
Tough decisions, but you seem to have done very well with your choices! And you’ve pinned the idea even further with task-oriented stuff.

lynne October 30, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Breaking news (posted to one of the longest blog topics ever…ha ha)…I took off the hard plastic 9 ” wheel that came with the Dixon roller pack. I replaced it with the inflatable 15″ front wheel off the front of my recumbent bike.
What a difference that makes. It’s quiet now and it doesn’t get caught on the smaller bumps or rocks like the other tire did.
Plus I had Bob Dixon send me a different harness, an “H” pattern instead of the “Y” suspenders that come with it. Again, it made a noticeable difference.
I think if I keep tweaking this thing, I will eventually get it to where it works for me. Hey, I invested $300 in this thing. I don’t want it to end up in the attic and then a yard sale where it goes for a dollar.

theprofessionalhobo October 30, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Lynne – Awesome! I’m thrilled you’ve found a way to make it work. Yay!

Toobusy2 November 14, 2013 at 1:45 am

I found your article while searching for a rolling backpack for my petite teenaged daughter. Thanks for the information. I use a Patagonia wheeled backpack. I have used the straps more than I thought I would. The wheels are perfect for the airport or for long city streets but when I’ve had to rush, climb up and down stairs, or travel where there are no paved streets, the straps have been a lifesaver. My daughter does not like the suitcase because she is a teenager and doesn’t want to keep wearing the same things (I only pack 3 tops, 3 bottoms etc no matter for 1 week or for 3 months) so this Patagonia wheeled backpack is too small for her. I’ll look into the pack you suggested (maybe a newer version since this post is dated now but still extremely useful). Thanks so much!!!!

theprofessionalhobo November 14, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks Toobusy – I hope you find the right pack for your daughter!

Tim December 2, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I second the nomination for the Eagle Creek. I’ve taken one on numerous plane trips to several continents and it has performed like a champ for years. The detachable daypack is wonderful for a laptop/carryon and in larger planes you can often get away with carrying the whole thing on. The main pack has several different pockets/zippers to keep stuff properly organized and easy to find. After all the beating the airlines have done to it mine is still in the best shape of any luggage I’ve tried. The only wear that is visible is the tail end of one of the straps which looks a bit chewed. All the zippers are still perfect, no tears nothing! I love it and it is well worth the “high” price when you figure how long it lasts. If I was traveling all the time I would get a bigger one but that’s about it.

theprofessionalhobo December 3, 2013 at 7:45 am

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the input! I think I’ll try out Eagle Creek next time. VERY interesting that sometimes you can carry it on; what size is it? Is it legal carry-on size?

Tim December 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Nora, Mine must be one of the smaller ones. I just measured it while empty and from the tip of the wheels to the top of the carrying handle (not the pulling handle) it is 25″ it is 15″ wide and 7″ thick but if you Stuff it full I’m sure this would bulge out to about 10″ or so. That is without the daypack which zips onto the front and has extra straps as well. So I think this is the carryon size and they have much bigger ones. Here’s my Amazon affiliate link to one similar to mine (but mine is much older) http://tinyurl.com/eagle-creek22 . On mine the daypack is much more obvious on this one it just blends right in. They say this one is 22″ which is about what mine is without the handle. While writing this comment I decided to post an article with some pictures of my older version. You can see it here: http://ecuador-expats.com/general/my-favorite-wheeled-backpack-luggage/ P.S. I also included a link to this article. :)

theprofessionalhobo December 5, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hi Tim,
Thanks for the link, and the voyeuristic peek at your luggage! ;-)
Having now taken quite a few trips (up to 3 months long) with carry-on only, my big clunky Osprey (and all the “stuff” I used to put into it) seems superfluous. Having said that, there are a few mementos and warmer clothing items that I “need” for full-time travel, but can leave behind if I have a base. Still looking to make the official transition to carry-on only.

Triniti December 17, 2013 at 7:12 am

Thank you google for getting me HERE! Great blog and much needed on my end. I’m a chronic multi-tasker and so i carry my 17 inch laptop PLUS ipad and the accessories that come with that oh plus the accessories that just come with being a GIRL (I cant get away from carrying a brush – trust me – bald? was not a good look for me) and I’m always on the go. Would you recommend the High Sierra for someone like myself? Im always on the lookout for that JUST RIGHT wheeled backpack.

theprofessionalhobo December 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

Hi Triniti – I SO hear you! I really liked the High Sierra; one of my best wheeled backpack choices, especially if you’re in need of a daypack as well.

Ron December 17, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Great conversation and information on bags, I appreciate everyone’s input. I am looking for a replacement wheeled/handled bag and need straps for the sand streets in Caye Caulker, the cobblestone of La Antigua or other incidental poor surfaces where I can’t wheel the bag. I just returned from 3 weeks in Belize where I had to drag around a failed High Sierra wheeled duffel. The solid plastic bottom which holds the handle structure and the wheels in place became brittle and continued to break to the point the wheels floated out of position. This bag wasn’t more than a couple years old and the damage wasn’t accidental or traumatic. I talked to High Sierra and wasn’t satisfied of any manufacturing or design changes. My input: don’t try to save money, dragging a defective bag around on a dream trip isn’t worth the savings.

theprofessionalhobo December 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Hi Ron,
You make a great point about crappy terrain…it’s murder on any wheels. This is where the backpack straps shine.
And you’re also right about paying for quality gear; I sing off the same hymn sheet.

Ben Reaves January 4, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hard sided wheeled backpack is what I’m looking for. My Eagle Creek wheeled backpack has lost its wheel and I’m looking for a replacement. It must be checkable as airline luggage and have good wheels. I need straps, for example while walking up stairs while carrying a tower PC (I do yearly presentations in Tokyo and soon maybe Shanghai, and part of my 10-minute trek involves some long unavoidable staircases).

theprofessionalhobo January 4, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hi Ben,
Any reason why you’re looking for a hard-sided pack in particular?
Would you go with Eagle Creek again?

Benjamin Reaves March 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Hard-sided just seems more robust when they’re tossed around in the airports. I use the straps rarely so don’t care much about comfort. In Tokyo and Shanghai last time I was there, street-level crossing was just inappropriate – due to irregular surface, or insane drivers. Lugging a backpack up a long staircase is not fun. Anyone know of hardsided with straps?

Tim January 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Ben,
I have an “Atlantic” Clamshell with only the two wheels that I liked pretty well. I did have to get them to send me replacement latches which they did quite easily. (I may have stuffed it a bit too full). Unfortunately Atlantic doesn’t make anything similar anymore. They all have the 4 swivel wheels which I think is just an accident waiting to happen. I much prefer the two larger wheels. I found this one which is similar to the one I had. http://tinyurl.com/hardside .

When I was traveling with a big server I had a custom made hard side case with foam padding all inside. It was great but it guaranteed that I would be stuck at customs absolutely every time and I had to pay oversize luggage fees every time.

Tim m February 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I agree with comments about wheeled backpacks. I purchased an Osprey. Great but things broke on first trip. would not buy again. companion had a cheap supermarket chain wheeled bag and that still looked like new. The Osprey did not!

theprofessionalhobo February 7, 2014 at 10:34 am

Hi Tim – I believe Osprey has a warranty program, so they will either repair your bag or replace it. I didn’t have that luxury when my zipper pulls broke on a train in Siberia (!), but it’s worthwhile to look into, given the cost of Osprey….

Florenz February 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hi there, thank you for a great article and posts.
I will be travelling to the World Cup in Brazil. 10 national flights within with 4 weeks. I was thinking of buying a wheeled backpack and came across the Caribee Skymaster: http://www.caribee.com/#!sky-master-70/c1idj
I would be very grateful to hear your opinion on this!

theprofessionalhobo February 9, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Hi Florenz,
That looks like a great case!
Sheesh….10 flights in 4 weeks….I would go with carry-on only if I were you! Since writing this article, I have indeed transitioned everything I own to carry-on only, and I haven’t looked back. It makes the “travel” part of traveling a breeze! :-)

Mark February 9, 2014 at 6:36 am

Great advice everyone.
I have travelled in the past with a full frame backpack and love the hands free aspects of a pack. Whether taking a photo, dragging out the passport or looking after my wife’s big suitcase, not having to keep track of my own suitcase is just one less thing to worry about. And of course it easier when faced with stairs, unpaved roads, etc.
On the other hand, why carry it when you can wheel it!
I’m going to look for a wheeled pack.
Cheers

theprofessionalhobo February 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Hi Mark – awesome! I do love wheels….and so does my back! Then again, I don’t have a wife with a large suitcase to manage either… ha ha!

Tamba February 25, 2014 at 11:12 am

Great discussion. It is interesting how your solutions have evolved over time and are still continuing to evolve. Now that you are a 100% carry-on traveler, what luggage solution are you now using? Do you still use a bag with wheels? I too have learned that wheels are a must for me (especially for standing in line and packing anything over 15kg through airports and train stations) but the backpack straps are very useful going up and down long flights of stairs and while accessing the subways in major cities. Lately I’ve been thinking about eliminating the extra weight and and loss of space of the built in wheels on my carry-on and getting a bag like the Red Oxx Air Boss or Tom Bihn Tri Star and adding a light weight luggage cart if needed. Any thoughts on that solution?

Nora Dunn February 25, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hi Tamba,
I’ve gone the other way from your idea of cutting out the wheels with carry-on only…instead I’ve eliminated the straps! With a carry-on case, it’s just not that heavy, and with good side and top handles, I have no problem picking it up to manage stairs and other areas where the wheels won’t work. Thus, I’ve opted for the extra space lost with backpack straps and chosen a carry-on bag with wheels only.
My current bag of choice is the Pacsafe Toursafe 21. So far, I love it, and it’s very light weight despite the wheels and extra security protection of the theft-proof anti-slash (etc) options.

Ron March 4, 2014 at 10:50 am

Nora, I understand how you feel and I thought the same in theory but a found the real world throws at me the 3 city blocks covered with windblown sand or some other impediment where those wheels won’t work. The straps are insurance I will get where I’m going without the need for lumbar adjustment when traveling. I bought the Eagle Creek as an “expedition bag” to get to where I want to go and then day bag from there. I had too many HIgh Sierras frames supporting the wheels fail me and the Eagle Creek is being discounted heavily. I bought mine for less than this but this 50% off isn’t bad http://www.rei.com/product/869979/eagle-creek-flip-switch-wheeled-convertible-luggage-28-2013-overstock

Nora Dunn March 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hi Ron,
Again – if I wasn’t going with carry-on only, I’d still very much be in the wheeled backpack camp! But with a carry-on only bag, it’s just not that heavy to carry by hand, even for 3 city blocks….but those straps take up very valuable carry-on real estate! If I were looking to buy a checked bag again, I really like your choice in the Eagle Creek.

Chris March 4, 2014 at 1:15 am

Why can’t the manufacturers keep these bag in stock, improve them and make more! I travel 2 weeks out of every month, and love these bags. Currently I am using a High Sierra AT6 which they discounted and changed styling. They are not the best material but functioned great going up and down train platforms and airports when needed. The bag that give a detachable day pack are the best, when on vacation they are great to pack lunches or towels for the beach, for business I can store my computer in it for meetings. Looked at the Ospery which is a good bag, but loved the Northface doubletrack 21 just can find these bag to buy them! Wish these manufactures would see that there is a market for these bags and keep them in stock!

Nora Dunn March 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hey Chris,
I hear ya. You find something you love, and when you need another one, it’s discontinued or otherwise changed to no longer suit your needs. I mean – really! ;-)

Hugh March 4, 2014 at 4:55 am

Hello there, well took me half the night to read this blog hahahahaha but it was very informative and quite fascinating to see where you all have traveled. I am in the course of traveling through Colombia, I find that the size of a suitcase is handy, (only carry on size) but I am in need of a backpack for weekend trips from a home base. I love the idea of a roller back pack with a day bag, does anyone one know of one that has a decent day bag for more than a day hahahaha.

Thank you all.

Hugh

Hugh March 4, 2014 at 4:56 am

Not worried about price by the way, just functionality.

Cheers…. Hugh

Nora Dunn March 4, 2014 at 10:41 am

Hey Hugh,
If you’re looking for a day-pack backpack that fits more than a day’s worth of stuff but can also fit into your suitcase when you’re not using it (and take up almost no space) I’d highly recommend the Outdoor Research DryComp Summit Sack (mentioned in my article above). It’s really a superb and versatile piece of gear!

Sarah April 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Hi Nora, great post-very informative! I was hoping maybe you could give me some advice. I will be traveling Europe for 25 days, visiting 9 different cities. We are not staying in any city more than 3-4 days, and will be staying in hotels, so I can leave my main bag in my room and take a “day pack” out for the daily exploring. The only real trekking of my suitcase I’ll have to do is up and down stairs at the hotels, through some streets, and on and off the buses we will be taking for travel between locations. Would you recommend a traditional suitcase or a rolling backpack? I am leaning towards the rolling backpack just simply for those few times I may need the straps, but for 25 days I will need a decent amount of room for belongings. I definitely don’t want to over pack. The cheaper the better, and I definitely don’t want to have to buy a new one while I’m there so I would like for it to be sturdy. What do you think?

Thanks! …Sarah

Nora Dunn April 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Hi Sarah,
Great questions! Okay. This largely depends on how much stuff you (think you) need to bring. For me, the lighter the better, since it’s so much easier to schlep small light bags around than large heavy ones – backpack straps/wheels or not. And with the amount you’re moving around, you don’t your bags to weigh you down (pun intended).
So this begs the question: are you willing/able to do laundry along the way? Either by hand washing and drying things overnight, or by going to a laundromat? If so, then you don’t need to bring 25 days worth of stuff…which is a lot.

Here’s the deal: when I wrote this post, I still used a bag large enough that I had to check it in on flights. This meant when navigating stairs and cobblestones, the wheels were a pain, and it was a wee bit heavy to carry. So – backpack straps were good.

But now, I use a carry-on bag (with wheels) only. To have straps on my bag would mean sacrificing space – which is sacred since there isn’t much of it. So my bag is a wheels-only case. Also, being a carry-on bag, it’s not as heavy, so it’s much easier to carry by the handle when the wheels won’t do.

Does this help?

Florenz April 22, 2014 at 4:46 am

Hello all,
my Brazil trip is drawing closer and after some consideration (and your kind comments) I have decided not to go for the backpack option but rather buy:

1) a big (70-80l – I will unfortunately travel with more than carry on size) travel bag without the shoulder straps and
2) a small lightweight summit pack for the day trips.

Can you give me specific suggestions for any of the two?

My main criteria are light weight, excellent quality (especially for the weels). Price is not that great an issue. I understand that North Face, Osprey and Eagle Creek are good (?)

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

Florenz

Nora Dunn April 23, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Hi Florenz,
Choosing such a large wheeled bag without straps will occasionally be problematic for you, especially if you move around often, since there will be times that you’ll have to carry it (up and down stairs, over rough roads, etc) and that will be a large load to carry by hand. However it’s possible, depending on how strong you are.
As for brand names to shop for, yes – those three produce high-quality bags. You might also want to take a look at Pacsafe – I find their luggage very sturdy and high quality, with the added benefit of a number of security features.
Happy hunting!

Darren April 28, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Great piece on the gear. I am with you as I started in 1993 with a big old used US Navy Sea-bag that I bought at a surplus store. That served me as I traveled Asia and Europe, but it was a pain i the @S#. Now I always use my Caribee Skymaster 70, it is the best bag I have found and unless I find the holy grail pack. I will stick with it. Great article, glad you found the wheeled backpack!

Nora Dunn April 28, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Thanks Darren! And please do let me know if the holy grail pack ever makes an appearance! ;-)

Tim April 28, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Just checked out the http://tinyurl.com/CaribeeSkymaster70 and it looks pretty cool! It has the detachable daypack that I like although some reviews said it was too small to hold a laptop? A couple of people complained about the quality have you had any problems with yours?

I just bought another Eagle Creek for my wife for her birthday last month since I liked mine so well. It has some nice improvements over the old version. The wheels are a bit bigger and the daypack doesn’t look like a baby Koala hanging on it’s mother’s back. Instead it looks more integrated. See http://tinyurl.com/eagle-creek22

Nora Dunn April 29, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi Tim,
Both bags look solid! I’ve never heard of Caribee but it doesn’t mean it’s bad. The Eagle Creek one looks great – is it carry-on sized?

Darren April 29, 2014 at 10:27 am

I have a MacBook Pro 15in. and it fits. It wouldn’t fit a 17in. My last two trips though, I have only taken a 7inch tablet with bluetooth keyboard since it is easier to trek around with. As for quality, it is top-notch. Had no issues, but it also has a complete guarantee, that they will fix it anywhere for you. Haven’t had to use it yet, but that is nice. I have only heard good things recently about the Eagle Creek. My brother got the High Sierra and has not been impressed by the quality, but the price is significantly less.

Tim April 29, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I have carried the old version on. On some smaller planes they made me put it underneath but then returned it on the gangway on arrival. In those cases I would move my laptop to the daypack and give them the big half. It worked great. I think technically it is oversized, if you have the big part and the daypack stuffed full. The whole thing is too thick to fit in most overhead bins. Then I just unzip the day pack and put them in separately. It is definitely pushing the limit but I’ve done it many times.

Nora Dunn April 30, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Hey Tim,
Do you take another daypack as well for carry-on? If not, then you probably still fit the carry-on regulations with the big bag and the day pack if they were separate. But if you do take another daypack for carry-on, then – sneaky! (And cool)!

Tim April 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Usually I don’t have another carry-on but I do wear a “fanny pack” which always gets through in addition to whatever I’m carrying. I was really loaded up once and heard one ticket agent question the other about what I was carrying and the senior one said no fanny pack doesn’t count because it is “attached to his person”.

Nora Dunn May 1, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hey Tim – Ooh that’s a great travel hack! Wear a fanny pack to get extra stuff through carry-on security. There are some lovely hand-crafted bum bags here in Peru….maybe I’ll pick one up!

Tim May 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

I wear mine in the front, it always has my passport (in a separate zipper closest to me). It also has Tylenol, band-aids, chewable Pepto, antihistamines, misc. over the counter remedies, mini sewing kit from a hotel, dental floss, small pack of Kleenex, roll of camping (travel) toilet paper, pen and paper, toothbrush and mini-toothpaste, etc. Most of those things take surprisingly little space. The biggest is probably the TP which is about the size of an empty TP roll since there is no roll inside.

Nora Dunn May 3, 2014 at 10:33 am

Hi Tim,
Brilliant. I’m on my way out to get one! ;-)

Sunanda May 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Very helpful article. Finally I got some good tips …Thanks :)

Nora Dunn May 3, 2014 at 11:06 am

Thanks Sunanda. Happy Travels!

Tim May 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I think I got mine in Ecuador. It looks like it is probably Leather, has lots of zippers.
1) the one hidden in the back closest to you (for passport)
2) One straight across the top to access the main compartment without spilling stuff.
3) One that curves around the top for full access to the main compartment.
4) One across the top of a small compartment on the front.
5) one across the front of the small compartment with a separate section that only holds a few thin things ( I keep a sheet of Dramamine pills there) for quick easy access without hunting.

Diana Lara May 26, 2014 at 11:59 am

Hello fellow traveler. My cousin and I are traveling South America for about 5 months. I read your article about wheeled backpacks. That’s definitely what we’re going to buy. You said you wouldn’t buy the Osprey again. Which other backpack would you recommend? Do you have an article that talks about what clothes to take and how much of it? I would love to get a woman’s perspective on things. You’ve been doing this for many years so any advice would help us. Thanks for your help!

Nora Dunn May 26, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hi Diana,
I believe Eagle Creek makes a solid wheeled backpack at a decent price, although I haven’t tried it. High Sierra seems to have discontinued the model that I got, but there are others that might fit the bill quite nicely. And the Osprey was a great bag, but for the price I was disappointed that the zipper pulls broke so quickly.

As for clothes and pacing lists, maybe this packing list post will help you:

Happy travels!

Bianca June 19, 2014 at 12:24 am

Hello! Thank you for all the info here … I travel a lot but I am not a backpacker … Im finally venturing in october to do a backpacking type trip to southeast asia (vietnam, thailand and cambodia) … Im short … 5″1′ … Not very strong … I dont hike really and if i did it would definitely be a day trip with no need for the big luggage … So with that said i definitely think the wheeled backpack is for me … Although I see they come in different sizes … I will do my best to keep it very light but … What size can you recommend for the bag I get? Thank you thank you!

Nora Dunn June 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

Hi Bianca,
Ooh! Exciting trip! The size of your luggage depends very much on how long you’re traveling for and how much you want to pack. I’ve now transitioned my entourage to carry-on sized only, so I don’t have a bag with straps now – I’m all wheels!
Here’s some more food for thought on that topic: