Financial Travel Tip #8: Flying for Free (or Almost Free)

by Nora Dunn on December 24, 2011

In my last financial travel tip about traveling in style for free, I talked about scoring a free upgrade to a first class flight – just by asking for it.

But that methodology is pretty hit-and-miss when it comes to the art and science of flying for free (or almost free). For that, you need frequent flyer miles, and lots of them.

The good news is you don’t need to fly (and often don’t even need to spend any extra money) to accumulate miles that will get you on that next flight. If you really apply yourself to the accumulation of frequent flyer miles (and there are lots of ways to do it that are actually quite easy), you might find yourself on a long-haul business class flight, enjoying luxury in the sky – all for less than the price of an economy ticket.

To whet your tastebuds for business class travel, here’s a description of my trip from New Zealand to Spain (exactly half-way around the world) in business class last year: My Business Class Travel Adventures – and Using Frequent Flyer Miles

And here’s how you can learn to do the same for yourself:

Become a Frequent Flyer Master and Earn a Free Flight Every Year

The Travel Hacking Cartel: Fly Around the World for Almost Free

Agness (@Agnesstramp) October 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

I find flying so expensive, but fortunately
there are some great deals out there.
If you could, what websites would you
recommend to me to book
the cheapest flights? Thanks in advance.

theprofessionalhobo October 13, 2012 at 11:50 am
Agness (@Agnesstramp) October 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks a lot. Will check it out.

EH February 16, 2014 at 5:30 am

Actually working as an air courier can get you totally free flights, but it is a tiring job and might not bring you to the best places.

theprofessionalhobo February 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hi EH – I’ve written in years past about working as an air courier with Air Tech:

But it also seems to be largely debunked or no longer a practical way to get flights. Do you have experience with this form of travel? And who do you use to get flights?

Phoebe February 18, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Wow, I’m loving exploring your blog. You make traveling look so fun and easy. I can’t wait for my next adventure now. I hope you don’t mind, but I gave you a shout out on my little blog. Hope you can check it out sometime!

theprofessionalhobo February 19, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Hi Phoebe,
Thanks for the kind mention – and happy travels! Let me know if you have any questions along the way….I’ve spent a lot of time in the Caribbean.