Revelling in Uncertainty, Change, and Drama

by Nora Dunn on August 1, 2013

I’ve been in a period of great change for many months – even a year if you include my decision to switch gears and develop a home base in Grenada.

But life isn’t all settled down and hunky dory just yet. In addition to ongoing accident recovery and legal battles, I have more than my share of drama to contend with – dramas of mine and others that affect me.

This is life.

We all have dramas, and periods of change. These times in our lives are character-shaping, and who I am now is so many miles away from who I was when I was…so many miles away.

I continue to reflect on the gifts that are enclosed in these dramas; gifts of wisdom, experience, confidence, and a range of emotions that remind me that I’m human.

I’m excited about change. I like it. (This isn’t surprising, given my propensity for changing careers through my 20s, followed by my adoption of an ever-changing nomadic lifestyle).

I don’t even mind the dramas (I’d rather call them adventures) that are thrown in the way amidst changing times; it’s part of the process, and I’m innately confident that I can land on my feet (a least eventually).

What excites me about changing times, is the uncertainty. What lies around the next corner? What opportunity will avail itself next – even if the opportunity looks like a roadblock?

Most people shy away from uncertainty; I try hard to revel in it.

Given my lifestyle, anything can happen. (Just about).

Next month, I could be on safari in Africa. I could be fishing with my partner in Nova Scotia. I could be house-sitting in Panama. I could be lounging in Switzerland. Or I could be here in Grenada.

It’s fun to wonder what’s around the next corner, because I have the freedom to embrace it – whatever it is – and that is very empowering.

Recommended Reading

Care One

Hustling Extra Cash Part 2: Become a Tour Guide in Your Home Town

Would you like to hustle some extra cash and use your local knowledge of your home town? Read on to find out how you can earn money on the side as a tour guide or advisor.

Tripcentral.ca

Travel Firsts: My First Time Feeling Lonely on the Road

The tripcentral.ca blog has recently introduced a Travel Firsts series, where travel writers profile first experiences on the road. Mine is the first in this series (talk about a bunch of firsts!), and is about getting whacked simultaneously with heartbreak and dengue fever in “paradise”.

Wil @ Where's Wil August 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm

The first big uncertain moment in my relatively new nomadic life was when I arrived in Myanmar alone, without my companion whom had all the information and plans. I was in an airport alone, with absolutely no information on where I was or where I wanted to go and though at first stressful, it changed me. Embracing the uncertainty creates experiences and memories that will stay with you forever …and it makes you stronger.

theprofessionalhobo August 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Hi Wil – I can relate to that fear and uncertainty. Where was your companion? And what did you do?

Wil @ Where's Wil August 2, 2013 at 10:19 pm

My companion had her date confused and was unable to get a visa in Bangkok and was stuck there for longer then I could wait in Yangon. Though we’d planned to eventually meet up in Myanmar, changing plans and a lack of communication prevented it.

I ended up talking to people.

I found out some of what there was to do and went with the flow. Sometimes I formed groups with other travelers, or even locals I had befriended (the best thing to do) and other times I was very much alone.

It was all easier to deal with then I would have anticipated before this experience.

At one point, I found myself at a bus station where everyone was asking me “Where you go?” and they couldn’t comprehend my reply of “I don’t know”. Pick a random destination, hop on, enjoy.

theprofessionalhobo August 3, 2013 at 10:45 am

It’s a very freeing experience if we embrace it! Glad you found the silver lining.
I too – in many contexts – have gotten confused reactions when I tell people I don’t know where I’m going next. It’s half the fun!

Andi of My Beautiful Adventures August 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I love that you call dramas adventures!!!!!

theprofessionalhobo August 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Ha ha – I’m a glass-is-half-full kind of girl! :-)

Christine |GRRRL TRAVELER August 3, 2013 at 7:07 am

Nice post! I try to revel in uncertainty too. Most times. But sometimes when it’s too too uncertian, I don’t revel. I just try not to get terrified. lol. Just trying to roll with the punches without getting punched.

theprofessionalhobo August 3, 2013 at 10:46 am

Christine – Well, I guess the saying “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” is a valid testament to the value of at least a little certainty in our lives!

John Bardos August 6, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I feel the same way.

The most enjoyable times of my life have been when there was the most uncertainty and was I working the hardest.

Life gets boring very quickly when everything is safe and secure.

theprofessionalhobo August 6, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Hi John – Ha ha….it’s good to know I’m not alone! Yay for uncertainty!

Cheryl August 7, 2013 at 3:32 am

I agree – the best adventures usually start with drama so just embrace it! You will at least get a great story from it all! We always try to await the next “thing” that presents itself as an opportunity and just be open to giving it a try. It has worked so far..

theprofessionalhobo August 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hey Cheryl – and the best adventures…..make for the best stories! It’s a win-win for everybody. :-)