Roundup: Reflecting, Waiting, and Remembering Where I Am

by Nora Dunn on July 18, 2013

I’ve had a few weeks back in Grenada after spending a month in Canada. I’m living in a different house (with no number, on a street with no name), which is much closer to the ocean. Although I loved life in the high hills of Grenada, I love even more being able to walk to a nice beach for a daily snorkel or swim.

Although I haven’t published many posts recently about life in Grenada, the discoveries continue (and fodder for posts accumulates). I’ve been in a more reflective period lately – hence my posts on the bad times, the good times and life on the road in general. I’m looking back at the travel blog industry and my accomplishments, and looking forward to new opportunities – which include some new publications I’ll be writing for in the near future.

My reflective phase also pertains to the ongoing recuperation from the accident, which is now more than five months ago. A reader commented recently that they thought for sure the crash would send me scurrying “home”…when in fact it wasn’t even a consideration (due in part to my evolved – or confused – definition of home).

My partner (who is still in a considerable amount of pain) and I are waiting and waiting (and waiting some more) for new developments with the insurance company, as we are entitled to a claim. We are part of the way through the process, but this last lap is the longest, and we are on the starting blocks to spend the summer abroad (to tend to my partner’s medical issues first and foremost) – but we can’t go anywhere until the claims process is further underway. The entire experience (from the crash until now) has been a monumental test in patience – on many levels.

Now as tormented or horrible as that may seem, let’s remember that my agonizing days of enduring patience are taking place on a Caribbean island. Daily walks, ocean swims, and snorkelling are in order, along with the odd wander down to the local marina or bus into town to run errands or make social calls.

I’ve said before that the island pace of life in the Caribbean is great….until you have to get something done. Then it’s agonizing and random; but at least you get to drown your sorrows to the scene of a Caribbean sunset.

Life could be worse!

Recommended Reading

Care One

Hustling Extra Cash Part 1: Renting Out Spare Space to Travelers

Got extra space? (Even just a couch or backyard big enough for a tent?) Need extra cash? Great! Now you can host a traveler, meet new and engaging people, and make money doing so.

Here’s how, along with some tips and resources to ensure your experience is top-notch.

Travel Underwriters

What Not to Do When Making an Insurance Claim

When my boyfriend got Dengue fever in Thailand a few years ago and I was left to sort out the complicated claim, I learned (often the hard way) how to navigate the difficult process of making an insurance claim. Read this comedy of errors so you are prepared for your own claim…before it happens.

Profiles & Shout-Outs

My Destination invited me to talk about my writing career, some of my favourite places and things I’ve done, and my views on “settling down”.

Big Blogger Interview: The Professional Hobo

resorts in hervey bay July 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Interesting read! Thanks for sharing your story. Love that beautiful Caribbean sunset. Nice share!

theprofessionalhobo July 20, 2013 at 11:31 am

Thanks!

Spanish translator @LatinAbroad July 18, 2013 at 6:15 pm

fundamental test of patience and pain tolerance… That pretty much sums up the last 5 months of my life as well. Still waiting on lawyers and insurance claims my injury February. It’s driving me insane… I can’t really word, half on the computer — a few minutes here and there to read some blogs and read on my own..

ANYWAY! I guess my point is that I’m here to talk you ever need to, as I’m going through very similar situation.

Happy to hear that things seem to be getting better by the day though :)

-Maria Alexandra

theprofessionalhobo July 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

Maria – I didn’t realize you were injured in February as well! How close are you to sorting out your claim? I’m losing hope that I’ll be going anywhere this summer….
And where are you right now?
I just read on your site that you were planning to go to TBEX…did you go?
(I didn’t see you…) :(

Tracey - Life Changing Year July 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Patience is a fabulous skill to master. Though I’m sure you’d rather master it while waiting for Christmas to arrive or for an elephant to give birth (2 years incubation I hear!) Those sunsets look amazing and I have to say you’ve made me add Granada to a place I’d like to see. I’ll be patiently waiting for that day…..lol!!

theprofessionalhobo July 23, 2013 at 8:49 am

Tracey – Indeed! I guess if we weren’t challenged to, patience is a virtue we wouldn’t master – or at least learn. Glad you’re coming to Grenada…eventually! :-)

Amanda Kendle July 23, 2013 at 8:39 am

A house with no number on a street with no name? Sounds like song lyrics, and also sounds wonderfully unfindable. (How does your mail get to you?)

theprofessionalhobo July 23, 2013 at 8:50 am

Amanda – How does my mail get to me? Read my article about living in a house with no number on a street with no name and you’ll know! (It’s not exactly an easy answer…) :-)

Turner July 23, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Good luck with everything, Nora! Hopefully we’ll get to meet sometime this year.

theprofessionalhobo July 25, 2013 at 9:16 am

Hey Turner – That would be lovely! Where are you traveling for the next few months?

Tiffany August 12, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I am catching up on reading this post and I was wondering how everything was unfolding in Grenada. Also, great article on ‘what not to do’ for insurance claim. Myself and almost my entire staff are sick currently and even just the simple sniffles reminds me how good health is one of the greatest gifts. I hope you both continue to rest and heal well for the long haul.

theprofessionalhobo August 13, 2013 at 10:11 am

Thanks Tiffany – things are coming along, but as usual, at a snail’s pace and on a road riddled with obstacles. But it’s all part of the process…..I hope you and your staff feel better! Being sick is no fun.