Roundup: House-Sitting, Automating Finances, and the Easy Life

by Nora Dunn on April 16, 2012

Real Life

One of the things I love most about Grenada is a simple pleasure: the breeze is always warm. Even in the wee hours of the morning, I can go outside in a sleeveless shirt and I’m never cold. (This goes for the rain as well; which is refreshingly warm rather than chilly).

I’ve settled into my return house-sitting gig in Grenada nicely, and am also taking some time to get into the local culture and explore the island. I’ve visited a few waterfalls, a chocolate factory, and as you’ll see from a recent post and video, I experienced Easter Sunday in full-swing on the beach.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself; this gig is so good. But then again I’ve had a lot of good fortune in my house-sitting experiences; check out my link below with 10 hot tips (and a cool discount) to help you land your own perfect house-sitting gig.

While you’re at it, if managing your finances is a chore and a bore – check out my 9-step process for automating your finances so you don’t have to worry about them!

Lastly, I’m very excited to be a part of the inaugural issue of the Canadian print magazine called Fresh Juice.

Check it all out below!

Wise Bread

10 Tips for Landing the Perfect House-Sitting Gig

Want to travel around the world and stay in great houses for free? It’s simple ― house-sit. Follow these suggestions to get started. And be sure to take advantage of the discount offer for 25% off your house-sitting membership with TrustedHousesitters.com!

Care One

Automating Finance for the Undisciplined and Disorganized

Is managing finance not a passion for you? An onerous task you’d prefer to ignore than attend to? No problem. Here are nine ways to automate your finances so you can focus on other things in life.

Profiles & Shout-Outs

Sheyi at Epistle of Blogging sent me an interesting – if not lengthy – list of interview questions about my journey to becoming a full-time traveler and blogger, setbacks, hopes, plans, defining moments, and even my love life! You can see the interview here:

Nora Dunn Interview: From Day Job to Travel the World

Fresh JuiceTC Media (the brains behind ELLE Canada, Canadian Living, Style at Home, and many more popular magazines) has launched a new bi-monthly magazine (circulation 425,000) in tandem with Loblaws called Fresh Juice. I am a regular contributor to the magazine, and you can see the first of a few articles I’ve written in the online version of their inaugural April/May 2012 issue:

Would You be Able to Ditch the Desk Early?

Spencer April 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm

My RTW the world was the best time of my life! I am so jealous of you.

Dick April 17, 2012 at 3:19 am

This may be a bit of a moral question (and of course I don’t know if you do or not) but I did and do a lot of volunteer work and if I didn’t have to work for a living (not saying you don’t work ) but pretty soon I would feel I would have do something back for society in a meaningful way.(whatever that means)

I don’t want to sound lofty and holier than thou kinda way, and maybe that’s just me, but do you ever feel like that ? I know you have done some teaching and I seem to recall you helped with forest fires in Australia (yes , that’s how far back I go !) so there is evidence right there. Just curious to know .
Cheers.

theprofessionalhobo April 17, 2012 at 8:59 am

@Spencer – Aw….thanks!

@Dick – I guess it all boils down to what you feel is meaningful. My writing career helps people to redefine their relationships with money and inspires them to design the lifestyle of their dreams, and realize that travel doesn’t have to be expensive. To me, that’s a pretty good start at giving back to society! :-)

Then there’s the international NGO I started – singlehandedly – on the fly in Thailand, the bushfire relief work I did in Oz, the permaculture property I helped run in Hawaii, and the promotional work I did for a center for higher consciousness in New Zealand. Some or all of this – and other things I’ve done – might be considered altruistic or meaningful, or not. To me, it’s meaningful, so I sleep well at night!

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a fellow a few years back who suggested that full-time travel is an act of withdrawal. Here was my reply:

How do you choose to give back to society in a meaningful way?

John Proulx April 17, 2012 at 11:07 am

I am happy that I discovered you a few months ago. For a short time, I was in a place where I had gotten a bit lost. I was traveling and on the move, yet I was feeling stagnant. I was endlessly relocating to escape what had become my seemingly constant discomfort. I spent a few months at a yoga ashram, and I was miserable! Miserable! At a yoga ashram! Come on! Reading your posts has given me new inspiration and helped me to examine why I began traveling to begin with and to focus on enjoying and experiencing where I am now. So please don’t allow anyone to make you feel that you should defend your life. You are giving back.
Thanks

theprofessionalhobo April 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

@John – It’s not entirely surprising that you were miserable in an ashram! I’ve had many defining (and redefining, and redefining again) moments in my travels where things just don’t seem to click despite my living a life that dreams are made of. And although you were in a place that’s a hotbed for spiritual growth and change, maybe it was your very misery that inspired a new form of self-exploration in your travels.

I went through one of those stages last year when I wrote about Travel Fatigue (http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2011/03/travel-fatigue-and-slowing-down-the-pace-of-travel/), Motion Sickness on the Road (http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2011/03/motion-sickness-on-the-road/), Work-Life Balance (http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2011/05/travel-work-life-balance-time-management-and-the-paradoxes-within/), and eventually came to the conclusion that Destiny is a Direction (http://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/2011/06/destiny-is-a-direction/).

Thank you for your supportive words. Living an unconventional life is both a challenge and a source of elation!

Dawn Lambert April 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I have just landed in Hawaii after selling home, giving up possessions. What house sit sites are best to subscribe to for Hawaii? I love most animals and am an avid gardener. Can’t live with my daughter forever!

theprofessionalhobo April 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

@Dawn – I’m not sure which sites are the best for house-sitting, however most house-sitting sites allow you to preview many listings before signing up, so you can choose one that has a good complement of listings for Hawaii.
Personally, I got two “gigs” in Hawaii – through The Caretaker Gazette, and Grow Food. Neither of them were strictly house-sitting (more like volunteering in trade for accommodation), but both were amazing experiences!

Sheyi @ Ivblogger.com April 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hey Nora,

Thanks for putting the link in here. I checked my analytics to discover that your site brought visitors. I appreciate it and nice having the interview with you – yeah it pays to know your love life!

Sheyi