Flying with No Baggage

by Nora Dunn on July 11, 2011

Something's wrong: I'm at the airport with no bags!

I recently returned from a week-long trip to Florida to visit a friend. (I know, I know. Florida in June?! I must be daft. All I can say is at least it wasn’t July or August, and thank goodness I generally love the heat. I have spent over four years hopping hemispheres for endless summer, after all.)

And although I normally travel with everything I own, this time I left just about everything behind in Toronto while taking this side-trip. In fact, not only did I not bring my usual bags, I brought no bags at all.

You may recall my post about Preparing for the No Baggage Challenge in which I emptied the contents of my purse and decided how to “pack” for such a trip. As the second installment of my No Baggage Challenge series of trips and posts this summer, I’ve written about the experience of Flying With No Baggage over at the No Baggage Challenge website.

In it, I write about the ups and downs (pun intended) of flying with no bags; from issues of security, to in-flight comfort, and – of course – adventures in clearing customs.

Please hop on over there to check out the post in full!

Flying with No Baggage

Dick July 12, 2011 at 2:13 am

As a firm believer in travelling light , the few times I went on a organised trip you don’t make yourself very popular when you can just pick up your room key in the hotel and with a cheery good night ! scurry of to your room leaving other people questioning whether this time the suitcases have gone astray again . It’s wicked I know !

And of course you should also always carry an extra shoulder strap because if the only breaks ….

Cheers,
Dick

theprofessionalhobo July 12, 2011 at 6:57 am

@Dick – Yes, I remember taking an all-inclusive trip to Mexico for a wedding a few years ago, and I took carry-on luggage only. All the other guests (who were waiting at the luggage carousel and lugging around obscenely heavy suitcases for a week in a sunny place where the thing they wore most was a bathing suit) thought I was daft! Hmm….I wonder…. :-)

Rebecca July 12, 2011 at 9:04 am

While I certainly applaud the idea of no baggage.. I am trying to wrap my head around it. I want to get the point where I am traveling super lightly.

I guess my biggest question is clothing… You went for a week to Florida.. with the clothes on your back, presumably a bikini (yep I watched the video) and an extra pair of underwear. So you wore the same outfit everyday? Is that the standard for uber light travel? I’m not judging it– just trying to understand as I myself head to FL for a few days and I wrote out my packing list which included a different outfit for everyday and a different swimsuit…

Which just feels like I am packing the closet.. since we haven’t even talked about shoes… I’d be ok with just flip flops but is that ok?

Where is it that I need to change my mind stance?

theprofessionalhobo July 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

@Rebecca – Although some uber-hard-core ultra-light travelers might go with only one outfit, I balk at the practicality…what do you wear when washing it? Although many outfits will dry overnight, sleeping in the buff in hostels (and many homes) is inappropriate.

So I actually layered two outfits for the journey down. That way I had one to hand-wash while wearing the other. Worked out pretty well.

Henry Williams July 27, 2011 at 7:41 am

I dont think I would feel comfortable going out of town for a week with nothing at all

theprofessionalhobo July 27, 2011 at 3:10 pm

@Henry – LOL! I didn’t take nothing at all, but admittedly I took very little. And yes, I felt a little bit “naked” without anything to carry!