Roundup: Wake-up Calls, and Traveling for (Almost) Free

by Nora Dunn on March 17, 2011

New Chums beach

This picture looks over New Chums beach, a little piece of secluded paradise on the North Island of New Zealand – one of many. Despite tsunami warnings for New Zealand, we were largely unaffected here in the aftermath of the recent earthquake in Japan (due in part to the fact that it was low tide when the wave action rolled through). But again, this moving and shaking has been a wake-up call for myself and other travelers, encouraging us all to consider what “home” feels like, and where we might be prepared to “get stuck” for a while if it came to that. Here at Mana, one volunteer got clarity: she realized she misses her boyfriend, needs to live in the UK, and wants to have babies! So, she booked her ticket right away. Good on her.

As for me, I’m still happy to lay back in New Zealand and recharge my batteries for a while. It’s a nice place to be, with beautiful people, stimulating conversations, and awesome nature to enjoy. But I’ll soon be planning a long-haul flight back to Canada (with a possible layover adventure enroute), and likely in business class with thanks to the Travel Hacking Cartel (which I write about below). All this comes as an answer to a very special question I ask myself every day. Check out the articles below, and be enlightened!

Wise Bread

Travel Hacking Cartel: Fly Around the World for Almost Free

Here are some tips (from experience) on how to fly around the world for free (or almost free anyway), with some resources on how to do it.

Care One

One Daily Question That Will Keep Your Life From Stagnating

You get up. You go to work. You go home. You go to sleep. And you repeat this pattern until all of a sudden, months have passed and you’re not exactly sure what – if anything – you have to show for it (except maybe a few more wrinkles).

You’ve stagnated.

How do you get out of this rut? Heck – how did the rut form to begin with? You didn’t even see it coming.

Here’s your daily question to get out of this rut, and to prevent it from creeping up on you again.

Profiles & Shout-Outs

Mallory at Untie the Ribbons recently interviewed me for her series on people living their dream lives. In it I share how I came to start traveling full-time, some of the highlights, joys and difficulties of the lifestyle, and a few travel/packing tips. Thanks for the great interview, Mallory!

Living the Dream: Nora Dunn

Fellow freelance writing colleague Thursday Bram wrote an article about saving for retirement as a freelancer in which I weighed in a few pointers. There are some interesting comments following the article too; have a peek!

Start Now, Planning for a Freelancer’s Retirement

Kate March 17, 2011 at 7:07 am

I can’t wait for you to come and have a BBQ in my new backyard (well it is kind of old now…)!!

Bluegreen Kirk March 17, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Some things happen for a reason, beautiful photo. Luckily nothing happened to you over in New Zealand. I guess the lady realized how much she enjoys other things more than traveling.

theprofessionalhobo March 17, 2011 at 8:15 pm

@Kate – You must have known I was thinking about you just this morning! (cue in Twilight Zone music now). I can’t wait for a BBQ in your new/old back yard either….I’m planning a lovely summer in Canada….soon! Hope the weather is warming up nicely in preparation for my arrival… :-)

@Bluegreen – It’s amazing how a disaster can be exactly the wake-up call you need to get your life in order and on track. She loved her time traveling and the experiences she had, but that chapter had come to a close for her and it was time to move on. The earthquake was her wake-up call to this new reality. And good for her for allowing her life to evolve, instead of trying to maintain a status quo that’s no longer satisfying.

Dick March 18, 2011 at 10:11 am

Three more ‘mind focusers ‘ if you will and need..

Question 1
Imagine that you have enough money to take care of your needs, now and in the future. How would you live your life? Would you change anything?

Question 2
Imagine that your doctor says you have only five to 10 years to live. You won’t feel sick, but you’ll never know when death will come. What will you do? Will you change your life? How?

Question 3
Now imagine that your doctor says you have only one day left to live. Ask yourself: What did I miss? What did I not get to be or do?

Have a nice weekend,

theprofessionalhobo March 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

@Dick – Good questions! They build upon the question I pose in the Care One article beautifully. Do you ask yourself these questions regularly?

Dick March 19, 2011 at 8:28 am

Only all the time ?! Be careful what you wish for, it just might …. :)

Cheers,